The Art of Thrifting: 8 Tips for Shopping on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Thrift shopping can be very overwhelming. Most people walk into a thrift shop and think to themselves “this is all junk”, but I think thrifting is one of the best ways to budget! A lot of thrift shops in Ventura County have pretty high standards for the items they take in, so while you may think it’s all just a collection of other people’s unwanted and useless stuff, you may be surprised by the awesome things you might find. Budgeting during college is essential and these tips below will help navigate your thrift shopping experience!

Photo courtesy of Unsplash.com

1. Start the day with an open mind

It’s great to begin your thrift shopping with one specific item in mind but thrifting is like a treasure hunt. You don’t always find what you’re looking for and the best finds are unexpected. It is important to start with an open mind so that you don’t pass up other great buys solely with the excuse of “that isn’t what I’m here for.”

2. Bring friends along with you

I find that when I thrift shop alone, I get too excited over the low prices that I end up buying items that I never end up wearing or even using. Bringing friends along with me is also another way to help keep me from spending too much on things that aren’t worth it and having a friend’s opinion on clothing is always a plus!

3. Plan an outfit with the things that are already in your closet

Going through the clothing racks and finding a cute top, I always try to envision an outfit with the item and the pieces I already have in my closet. That helps determine whether it will be a worthy purchase or if it will just end up at the back of your closet with the other clothes you never wear. Thinking of what you already own is a good way to stop buying so many similar pieces. I’m personally guilty of buying too many denim shirts but keeping my closet in mind while shopping is beneficial.

4. Check the price tag

This sounds like a useless tip, but really pay attention to the price tags! Some things may be ridiculously overpriced for it being a thrift shop. It always helps to look up prices online of a similar item to help compare.

5. Look for flaws

Inspect clothing items for rips and tears, any stains that you think might not come out in the wash. For other novelty items check for any dents or cracks.

6. Look up trends

Make a moodboard of all the new trends you want to try or of pieces you’re missing in your closet. Go through magazines, Instagram and Pinterest for some inspiration.

7. Map out your trip

Plan out which thrift shops you want to visit and map out the best way to hit them all up as conveniently as possible in one day.

8. Bring donations of your own

Go through your drawers and closet and pull out any of the items you don’t need anymore. You’ll be freeing some space in your closet for the purchases you’ll be making, while giving someone the opportunity to rock a piece that once looked great on you too!

Photo courtesy of Unsplash.com

Hi my name is Laura Reyes! I'm majoring in Criminal Justice and Psychology at Cal Lutheran.
Dani Kluss

Cal Lutheran

Dani is a senior at California Lutheran University and is the Founder and President of Her Campus Cal Lutheran. She is majoring in Communications and minoring in Theatre Arts. In her free time she enjoys to volunteer on the stage management team at her local professional theatre, watch an unhealthy amount of Gilmore Girls on Netflix, write for her blog (http://www.DaniDearest.com/) and plan trips to Disneyland.