This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Name: Alyssa Marie Oliver

Hometown: Victorville, CA

Year: Sophomore

Major: Criminal Justice with a minor in Psychology

Her Campus Cal Lutheran: What made you decide to come to Cal Lutheran?

Alyssa Oliver: “When I took my campus tour, it was a place I could see myself living and really enjoying life. I also received a very generous scholarship that made the decision pretty easy.”HCCLU: Are you involved in any activites or clubs on campus? Why are you a part of them?

AO: “I’m involved in CJSA, The Criminal Justice Student Association. I joined the CJSA so I could meet other people in my major. I enjoy being involved, I just haven’t found any other clubs that catch my eye and I have an on campus job that keeps me pretty busy.”

HCCLU: What do you want to do after college and why?

AO: “After college, I plan on going into the military, not sure which branch yet. My dream job is to work for the FBI and since it is extremely competitive I figured why not serve my country and I’m more likely to be hired because I have the experience needed for the job. I do plan on attending grad school, I’m not sure if I will do it while I’m enlisted or after, but I would love to attend school back east, specifically Boston, a lot of the schools out there have fantastic criminal justice programs and I would love to live there.”

HCCLU: Any cool hobbies?

AO: “I do enjoy shooting. I have been going since I was little and it is a way me and my dad bond, so it brings back good memories.”HCCLU: What would you want to do if you could do anything in the world and money was no object?

AO: “If I could do anything I would really love to travel. I want to study abroad at least once but it is so hard to choose where I want to go. Currently my top choices are Australia, England, and Ireland.”

HCCLU: What does your perfect day look like?

AO: “My perfect day looks like sleeping in, I’m not a morning person at all, enjoying breakfast with coffee and just relaxing at home. I don’t get a lot of down time so being able to take it easy by listening to music, reading, or watching Netflix is a really nice day for me.”

HCCLU: Do you have any advice for freshman?

AO: “My advice to freshman would be that there is always a way. If you feel defeated or lost, you will be able to get to a better place, you just have to put yourself in the right mindset and figure out a way to make it work.”

Elaine Abarta

Cal Lutheran

Elaine is a Junior at California Lutheran University majoring in Communications. She is currently Publicity Director and Features Writer for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran. She loves planning events, singing, playing guitar, and spending time with her friends and family. 
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!