This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

ATTENTION ALL SENIORS: We’re in college. College is awesome. Life is awesome. But what happens after?

We have our friends, our homes, and our lives all at this small school. We literally spend four years in the social bubble that is Cal Lutheran. So what happens when we leave? What will we look back on and say, “I wish I would have done that,” or “I’m so glad I did that”?

So, to help us out and make the best of our time here, check out these pieces of advice from CLU alumni:

Taylor Faust (’15): Psychology major with art minor

(Co-captain of CLU varsity swim team)

HC: What were your favorite events on campus?

TF: My favorite events that I attended were: Monte Carlo Night, Spring Formal, Homecoming Carnival, the Scandinavian festival, and Cal Lupalooza. 

HC: Looking back, what would you change in your four years at CLU?

TF: If I could go back to my college years I would’ve attended more sporting events and attempted to become a peer advisor.

HC: What was your favorite part of going to CLU?

TF: My best take away from Cal Lutheran are the friendships and connections that I have made. I’ve learned a lot from the people I have met here, and I couldn’t be more proud to have graduated from Cal Lu.

HC: What advice to do you have for current seniors?

TF: Enjoy every minute, attend as many social events as you can, and take it day-by-day. Since graduation is only a few months away, it can be overwhelming with deadlines for senior paperwork always looming and difficult homework from upper division classes for your major being piled on. Stay organized, keep a planner with you, write down all due dates for homework and senior paperwork, and make little goals for things that you can accomplish in one day to make it easier on your future self. For example, writing one paragraph a day for the essay that is due in 3 weeks so you’re not doing the whole essay the night before (we’re all guilty of doing this at least once). Finally, have fun and enjoy your senior year at Cal Lu!

Emma Hopp (’14): Communication major with an emphasis in film and TV production

(Performed in “Rock the Campus” and Ink Fields Fashion show, played intramural basketball and dodge ball)

HC: If you could go back to school, what would you do differently?

EH: If I could go back to my college years, I would try to enjoy having roommates more. I was always wanting more space and privacy, but looking back  my favorite times were when I was doing things or even just hanging out in my dorm with my roommates, not when I was alone, so I wish I would’ve appreciated it more at the time. I also would’ve joined more clubs, so I could’ve met more people. I chose my circle of friends freshman year and it didn’t really expand at all throughout the years. I wasn’t too interested in meeting new people, and I wish I was.

HC: Advice for seniors?

EH: My advice for current seniors is to live in the moment, have fun, and appreciate being in college, and not be so ready to graduate because the year after college sucks. 

John Leal (’13): Business administration major

(played for CLU Varsity Baseball)

HC: If you could go back to your college years, what would you do differently?

JL: Actually read my textbooks. Not wait until the last minute to do things.

HC: What advice do you have for current seniors?

JL: Focus on balance. Manage your priorities. College should be a time to have fun but you have to know when to put in the work. You’re going to make mistakes, and there are definitely going to be times where you wish you did something different. Embrace that and learn from it. Also, don’t be afraid to try new things.

Margaret Morales (’10): Communication major with a double emphasis in media production and public relations 

(Captain of CLU dance team, PA, Editor-in-Chief of Echo)

HC: What classes did you enjoy most?

MM: I really enjoyed my TV production classes with Dave Grannis, as well both of my capstone classes (I took the comm one with Dr. Doctor and the film one with Dr. Dru). 

HC: What events did you enjoy most on campus?

MM: I really liked attending the football games, the Homecoming Carnival and improv shows. I also loved the Christmas Club Lu were they brought fake snow to campus; that was probably my favorite Club Lu event.

HC: Advice for seniors?

MM: I would advise seniors to make sure to stop and enjoy the fact that they are in what could very well be their last year of school ever. I would tell them to work hard in class but to make sure to savor the moments outside of class just as much, if not more. It is easy to focus to on getting out into “the real world” but senior year is over before you know and you can’t ever get the opportunities that come with it back. Also, I would tell seniors to make sure they are taking care of every connection and professional relationship they make. Those connections made in college will often help lead you to your career path (mine did!) 

Parker Morales (’08): History major

(Competed for CLU Varsity Swim team, worked as RA, and played for intramurals)

HC: What classes did you enjoy most and why?PM: History & Politics of the Middle East was my favorite class. It helped me learn how events from centuries ago are still affecting today’s politics. Jesus in Film & History was another favorite. It showed me how Jesus can be perceived in different ways by people.

HC: If you could go back to your college years, what would you do differently?PM: Travel abroad. It conflicted with swimming but I do wish I had even done one of the shorter abroad trips.

PM: Enjoy it while you can! Have fun with your friends. Do something new that you’ve always wanted to try, it might be your last chance! 

Lauren Witman (’15): Psychology major with an emphasis in health and wellness applications theology and Christian leadership minor

(Campus ministry, Lord of Life, worked for Community Service Center)

HC: What classes did you enjoy most and why?

LW: I loved all of my religion classes because they challenged me to look at religions, and Christianity in particular, from both scholarly and theological points of view. I loved learning the history behind the religion that has shaped me, and I loved having the opportunity to grow my faith and develop my identity at the same time.

I also enjoyed my psychology classes, especially Cognitive Psychology, because I enjoy studying why we humans think and act the way we do, but I also took some classes outside of my major and minor, and I enjoyed those experiences too because they allowed me to see new perspectives. 

HC: What’s your best memory/ take-away from CalLu?

LW: The people. My professors are some of the best people I’ve ever known. They have supported me and helped me to grow in so many ways. The campus pastors are also incredible. I haven’t spoken to them in months, but I know that they still have my back. My roommates were, and are, my best friends. For example, when I was a first year, there was a lunar eclipse. My friends and I got up really early, maybe 3 or 4 in the morning, and we went out to Mount Clef stadium bundled in blankets to watch it. It was getting light by the time it happened, so to be honest, it wasn’t that great, but we had so much fun anyway. Afterwards, we went to Denny’s for breakfast, and then everyone fell asleep on the floor in our room. I know it doesn’t sound that awesome, but it was spontaneous and joyful and meaningful to us. Any time I spent laughing and joking with my friends or getting to know someone better was a good memory for me.

So to the seniors, and the sophomores, juniors and freshmen, make every part of your college life the best it can be, and maybe with this advice from the people who’ve already been here, we can make it through a little better.

Rachael Balcom

Cal Lutheran

Rachael is a Cal Lutheran junior and communication major also following the premed track. Originally from San Diego, she enjoys juggling, well-buttered popcorn, and writing about unpopular opinions.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!