This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Christmas is definitely my favorite holiday to celebrate. I love driving around and seeing all the lights, buying gifts for family and friends, and the cookies. Baking is another one of my favorite activities. It’s become a great stress reliver for me, especially during the school year.  I find it helpful to take an hour or two away from studying and make some delicious sweets.  I also enjoy dancing around the kitchen while licking that last bit of cookie dough off the spoon.  

Christmas cookies are a wide category, and it includes some of my favorites (anyone else love gingerbread?).  Since baking Christmas cookies is one of my Holiday Traditions, I thought I’d share some of my favorites. 

Photo courtesy of Pexels

Gingerbread Cookies:

We often think of gingerbread in terms of a gingerbread house. Which is often a hard cookie, really only used for structural purposes.  However, a soft gingerbread cookie really puts me in the holiday spirit.  Plus, with the right amount of spices, it makes for a great cookie.  Here’s the recipe I use, saved on my Pinterest forever. 

P.S. I don’t even decorate them, they taste just as good without icing.

Photo courtesy of Pexels

Sugar Cookies:

You know those soft sugar cookies from the grocery store with a thick layer of frosting, topped with sprinkles?  That’s what I’m talking about here.  Those cookies remind me of my childhood.  And in my opinion, are some of the best sugar cookies.  I’ve tried making these, but I can never get them to be soft enough.  So, for this one, I’m just recommending that you pick them up at the grocery store. ;) 

Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies:

Last, but certainly not least, are peanut butter blossoms. These aren’t an official ‘Christmas’ cookie, but another one that I often make this time of year.  One reason I love them is because I am a big fan of peanut butter. And chocolate. These cookies give you both, and it’s a lovely combo. They’re also really easy to make, so even if you’re not a big baker, you can still make these and impress a few people in the process. This is the recipe I usually use, from Pinterest

There are so many more Christmas cookies that I adore, but the list would be too long to include them all.  I hope this inspired you to either bake some gingerbread cookies or head to the grocery store for those sugar cookies. 

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (Cookie)!

Bari Cashman

Cal Lutheran '21

Bari Cashman is a student at California Lutheran University. She is currently pursuing a degree in Marketing Communications. She is an avid reader and writer.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!