This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

In memory of Borderline and the 12 lives that were lost two years ago on November 7, 2018, the city of Thousand Oaks has created the 12 Acts of Kindness

Although I never went to Borderline and I didn’t know those that sadly passed, I know many who were there that night and I have listened to their stories. It was a day that shook the Thousand Oaks and California Lutheran University communities to their cores. Whether you were there that night or not, waking up the next morning to the news will forever be remembered for everyone who experienced it, including me. Now, 730 days later, we are Thousand Oaks and Borderline Strong. I am proud to be surrounded by such courageous and strong young people every day. 

The 12 Acts of Kindness is simple and easy for anyone to participate in. Even if you weren’t affected or connected to Borderline, I think it is nice to remember that we can do simple acts of kindness to impact someone’s day, especially during this difficult time. This November I think we all should commit to doing 12 acts of kindness. It can be to either someone you know or a complete stranger.

Together we can create a light and joy in our community while remembering and honoring the Borderline 12, those that survived, and the brave first responders,” from a City of Thousand Oaks social media post.  

four people holding hands on the beach
Photo by Jude Beck from Unsplash
Here are some ideas for acts of kindness you could do:

• Make a donation
  • Volunteer your time 
  • Support local businesses and organizations
  • Make someone breakfast in bed
  • Call a friend
  • Send a note or handmade gift 
  • Check-in on your neighbors 
  • Buy someone else’s coffee 
  • Do a sibling’s chores
  • Give someone a compliment 
  • Smile at a passer-by
  • Wash someone’s car
  • Give a generous tip

I love that this idea is so simple, yet it will reach many and allow us to remember and honor the Borderline 12 as well as everyone involved. I know 2020 has been the world’s wildest rollercoaster none of us were prepared to ride, but I have seen a lot of kindness and good come out from it: neighbors helping neighbors, volunteering in local communities, and friends/ family helping one another. 

Let’s end the year doing small things to help one another in honor of Borderline. 

Rosie Baker

Cal Lutheran '21

Writing Director and Senior Editor for Her Campus at Cal Lutheran. I am in my senior year completing a communication major and creative writing minor. Born and raised in England, I am a British girl California living who loves all things Disney, Friends, and beach related.