The ABC’s of European Travel Excitement!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Let’s begin!Me in front of the Collosseum in Rome, Italy.

Those who know me well know I have always loved to travel! Being Swedish-American has made traveling something my family did pretty often as we would travel to Sweden to visit relatives and friends. Not only that, but European travel is something my parents have always had an undeniable passion for. Ever since I can remember, my parents would play Rick Steve’s travel shows on our TV and would be talking about all the places they want to visit. It was not exactly easy for us all the time though. Traveling can be pretty costly and we weren’t rich, so we would have to make sacrifices in order to afford our trips. Growing up, I have never had cable-tv, nor fancy home appliances, not to mention – I have never owned a single video game in my life! That has definitely been something that made me sort of an outsider when I was young. As I got older, however, my love for travel has developed into a passion for not only visiting different countries, but also understanding the different languages and cultures of the places I travel to! I have been blessed with several different opportunities to travel abroad and I LOVE sharing my experiences with people! So to make up for all the times I felt like an outsider as a child, I am going to summarize some of my favorite European travel locations, experiences, and tips into a simple childhood song – The ABC’s! I have also interviewed a good friend of mine, Eliza Weber, about some of her favorite experiences in Spain (scroll to the bottom to read more!)

A- Amsterdam, The NetherlandsAmsterdam is a beautiful city connected by bridges and canals and is rich in culture and history. It is especially known as the city where Anne Frank grew up during the Holocaust and wrote her famous diary! You can visit her dad’s old workplace and the secret annex where her family hid from the Nazis! You will also find a large collection of Vincent Van Gogh’s paintings on display in the art museums. The countless canals make boating a popular mode of transportation, however, biking is by far the most common way to get around! Not only will you see locals riding their bikes, but you will also see numerous bikes parked along the streets and bridges. The architecture in Amsterdam is aesthetically pleasing, and the night life is poppin’! Just a warning – beware of the major difference between coffeeshops and cafés!

B- Bruges, BelgiumBruges, like Amsterdam, is a city connected by canals. It has colorful vintage architecture and is a lovely city to explore! There is boat and horse drawn carriage tours and I recommend doing both! Also – do yourself a favor and try the Belgian waffles in Bruges! They are to die for!

C– Chamonix, FranceChamonix is an adorable town in the French Alps. It resembles a winter resort town but is still rich in culture! While in Chamonix, you must try fondue at one of the many cozy restaurants! Even if you are deathly afraid of heights, you must take the gondola up to Aguille Du Midi! After all, it is only one of the highest mountain peaks in Europe with a stunning view of the mountain range!Aguille Du Midi! You can get this GORGEOUS view on the Aguille Du Midi during your visit to Chamonix!

D- Drotningholm palace, Stockholm, SwedenDrotningholm Palace is the ancient residence of the Swedish royal family! It is full of ornately decorated rooms and has a beautiful garden with waterfalls in the back courtyard! It is also quite an enjoyable boat ride to get to the palace from Stockholm! Side note – the restaurant right next to the palace has amazing salads!One of the rooms in the palace! It is Swedish colors too!

E– Eiffel Tower, Paris, FranceThe Eiffel Tower sparkles at night!!!!! 

I mean; shall I say no more? The Eiffel Tower is only the iconic symbol of Paris! Definitely a place you must visit at least once in your lifetime! I highly recommend going to the top and drinking a glass of champagne – YES they sell glasses of champagne on the top! The French surely know what’s up because the Eiffel Tower also has a restaurant on one of its levels! To sum it up: food, champagne, a beautiful view on one of the most iconic towers in the world? The Eiffel Tower is a must!The Eiffel Tower is beautiful at night and during the day!!!!!

F– French RivieraBeautiful beaches, colorful architecture, lively markets and thriving nightlife? UM can I say perfection? The French Riviera is literally a dream vacation spot! There are many cute villages on hills that literally bless your soul with gorgeous views of the Mediterranean! Nice is one of the biggest cities along the French Riviera and is most definitely one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been! I also recommend going to their street market! It is seriously the best market to spend lots of money on fresh food and other various French products! The city is definitely very “nice” – pun intended!Eze is a beautiful town on the French Riviera as well! It is located on a hill and has a beautiful garden on top! 

G– Gamla StanGamla Stan literally translates from Swedish to “old Town”. It is located on an island in the heart of Stockholm. There you will find adorable alleyways filled with shops, restaurants, and lively cafés! It is also home to the Nobel Prize Museum. The vintage buildings are painted in a variety of different colors and are so picturesque that you might find yourself filling up your memory card with photos of them!

H– Hallstatt, AustriaHallstatt is a beautiful lakeside town in the Austrian alps! It has a gorgeous mountain scene and adorable buildings decorated with colorful plants! It is definitely one of the most beautiful Alpine towns! Pictures definitely do not sum up this incredible town! If you ever find yourself in Hallstatt, I highly recommend going on the salt mining tour- it is SO much fun!Another photo of the beautiful Hallstatt for your enjoyment!

I– Italian beachside townsItaly is home to some of the most beautiful beachside cities and towns! The Cinque Terre is no exception! It is easily one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been in my life! It is made up of 5 towns on the Mediterranean with some of the most colorful architecture and the cutest shops you will ever see! The beaches are stunning and the food is absolutely to die for! I stayed in Vernazza (pictured above) which is one of the 5 towns and I thought the locals were some of the friendliest people I’ve met! They genuinely enjoy holding conversations with tourists! Do yourself a massive favor and please spend some time in each of the 5 towns on the Cinque Terre! Words cannot sum up their beauty! Other Italian beachside towns include: Sorrento – located near the ancient ruins of Pompeii, as well as many others along the Amalfi coast!

J– Jungfrau region, Alps in SwitzerlandJunfrau is a region in the Swiss Alps with unbelievable mountain sceneries! I’m not kidding – you will literally not believe your eyes! It felt like I was on a movie set when I visited because the beauty of the scenery was incomprehensible! I stayed in an adorable town called Murren! An interesting thing about Murren is that you have to take a cable car to get up there! Gimmewald is also located in this region and is home to the worlds one and only honesty shop! This shop has no supervision and only has a box to put your money in for the products you take! Some of the mountain peaks in this region such as the Schiltorn, are accessible by cable car. On a clear day atop of these mountain peaks, you are able to see views that stretch on for miles and miles! As cliché as it sounds, visiting the Jungfrau region in the Swiss alps will change your life!The Honesty Shop!Another picture for your enjoyment!

K– Karlstad, SwedenKarlstad is a town in southern Sweden with the perfect blend of vintage and modern architecture. The night life is also exceptional – those Swedes know how to party! Also – try Svenska Bilar (the candy in the picture above).

L– Louvre museum, Paris, FranceLe Louvre is a world-renowned art museum that happens to be the ancient residence of French kings. It is where Leonardo da Vinci’s most renowned masterpiece, the Mona Lisa, is on display. The museum also showcases pieces by other famous Renaissance painters as well! The glass pyramids on the exterior courtyard and the elaborate interior decorations make the whole museum a place, as the French would say, “très chic!”   

M– Monte-Carlo, MonacoLavish and chic and known for its wealth and opulence – Monte-Carlo is a place like no other! It is a very tiny, yet unbelievably wealthy country located in between France and Italy! The alleyways are home to many elegant boutiques and fine restaurants! You may feel poor after visiting Monte-Carlo, but believe me it is worth it!

N– Notre Dame, Paris, FranceNotre Dame is an exceptionally famous church in Paris with beautiful stained glass windows and an unbeatable view of the city. It is nearly as worth it to climb to the top of this church as it is to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower. Why? Because you get the perfect view of Paris WITH the Eiffel tower in the picture!The view from the Notre Dame at sunset!

O– Osterias, restaurants in Italy  An osteria was originally a name used to denote a place serving wine and simple food in Italy; however, it has expanded to be simply a name for a restaurant! The restaurants in Italy were where some of my best food memories were made. Italians must use magic as one of their ingredients in all their dishes because their food is simply a blessing to this Earth. They have such a large variety of pastas and tasty sauces, and their fruit and vegetables are unbelievably fresh! Even if Italy was not one of the most beautiful countries on this planet (which it is), I would go back just for the food!

P– PisaWhat else should be said? Where else can you take cheesy tourist pictures of yourself pushing down a tower? Pisa is definitely a must see!

Q– Quaint German CastlesNeuschwanstein Castle Burg Eltz Castle Hohenschwagau Castle

Germany is known to have some of Europe’s most picturesque castles. Some of them include: Burg Eltz, Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwagau! Here’s a fact for all you Disney lovers- The Cinderella castle, in the center of both Disney theme parks, is modeled after the Neuschwanstein Castle!

R– Rothenburg ob der Tauber, GermanyRothenburg is a vintage town with a very interesting history and adorable Bavarian architecture! It is also home to a museum displaying ancient torture devices. There is a wall surrounding the town that is about a mile long and you are able to walk in it! The view of the town from the wall is so beautiful – especially at sunset! I also highly recommend going on the Night Watchman’s tour – it is EASILY one of the best tours I’ve been on!

S– Sound of Music Tour, Salzburg (and surrounding areas), AustriaThe Gazebo used in the Sound of Music film!The Von Trapp Residence in the Sound of Music Movie!

The famous musical took place in Salzburg! There are tours you can take to see some of the filming locations including: the Gazebo and the Von Trapp residence (both pictured above)! I am personally a huge fan of the film and it was definitely an unbeatable experience to visit some of the places where it took place!

T– Tuscan hill townsSiena is a Tuscan hilltop town!

Tuscany is a scenic region in Italy and is home to some of the cutest little towns! Many of them are located on hills and some are even inaccessible by car. Aside from the baroque style buildings and gorgeous scenery, many of these Tuscan hill towns remain unknown to a majority of tourists! This makes them ideal locations to really experience authentic Italian culture! These towns often have adorable town squares and amazing restaurants!

U– Uffizi art gallery, Florence, ItalyThe Birth of Venus by Botticelli, one of many paintings you will find at the Uffizi

The Uffizi is one of the many art galleries in this city which happens to be the birthplace of the Renaissance! The Uffizi art gallery is home to many pieces by Michelangelo and Boticelli as well as other renowned artists! The famous statue of David is also located in Florence, however, you can find it at the Academia museum! Florence is rich in art history so touring some of its many art museums is definitely a must!Florence Italy is a must-see place for art lovers!The Statue of David

V– Venice, ItalyVenice is charming, picturesque, and is an ideal place for a romantic getaway! The colorful buildings and the beautiful canals and bridges give this city a fascinating charm. I loved getting lost in the city exploring hidden alleyways and the lively shops and markets. The canals also take the place of roads in Venice! Riding the Vaparetto (the water Taxi) is like riding a bus and many locals have their own boats. There are also private tours on fancy gondola boats. Like many other cities in Italy, Venice has a rich variety of historical and artistic attractions! My main advice to give about Venice – take some time to walk around and explore! Get to know the locals and their stories about this beautiful city!

W– Wine county, FranceBeaune, Bourgogne, France

There is no denying that France is world renowned for quality wines. Bourgogne is one of the many regions in France that is popular for winetasting! Regardless of how you feel about wine, it is truly a fun adventure to explore cute the cute French towns in Bourgogne! Pictured above is the town of Beaune!

X- NeXt to the Rhine (yes I am stretching this with the X LOL)The Rhine is a major river in Germany. The scenery along the river is nothing less than breathtaking! Adorable Bavarian villages like Bacharach (pictured above) are located next to the river and are some of the most underrated places to visit in all of Europe! In these adorable towns, it is common to find lush green surroundings, vineyards, tall church steeples, ancient castles and ruins and of course some of the most beautiful Bavarian architecture! I also highly recommend buying Birkenstocks there! I got mine for around the equivalent of 40 US dollars! Now that is what I call a good deal!Y– Yummy treats!Italian Gelato

OK so major traveling tip here –  TRY THE LOCAL CUISINE! McDonalds will still be there when you come home! Seriously, your burger cravings can wait! As a food lover myself, I can honestly say that food is a major part of any experience! Europe has some of the best restaurants and bakeries you will ever eat at! The food is noticeably fresh and very tasty! Aside from that, trying new foods is such a great way to become familiar with the culture of the country you are visiting! Who knows? You may even find your new favorite dish!Dutch StroopwaffelsBelgian pommes frites French crêpe

Z– SalZburg (MoZarts birthplace), Austria (Yes I am really stretching this one with the Z’s LOL)Salzburg is one of Austria’s biggest cities located next to the Alps! Austria, as a whole, is probably the most historically significant place for classical music. Salzburg is no exception! After all, it is the birthplace of MOZART! You can even visit his house and actually walk in the room where he was born! I’m not going to lie – that was pretty dope! 

Now you know your ABC’s, so next time won’t you travel with me? :)

*ALL PHOTOS ABOVE TAKEN BY ME!

Spain with Eliza: “I loved my visit to Spain because I was able to see the lively culture just walking down the streets and looking up at the historical apartments. The lifestyle is unique and is a nice escape from our busy lives in the U.S.” 

I have not been everywhere (YET!!!) and one country I haven’t traveled to is Spain! I interviewed a good friend of mine, Eliza Weber, who shared some of her pictures and favorite experiences of her travels in Spain!Yummy treats in Spain. Here is a photo of churros with chocolate sauce. In spain , “their typical meals are way different” they usually have a “small cappuccino and very minimal breakfast” and “have a two-hour long siesta after their midday meal”.

Madrid:“Their buildings are tall and beautiful with fascinating balconies and gardens”. This photo was taken “on the top of a hotel in a bar and you have to pay to get up, only a certain number of people were allowed at a time”

Park Guell This is a public park in Barcelona designed by Antoni Gaudï, a famous Spanish architect. It has a large garden, beautiful tilework and many tourist shops on the outside. You can walk into the area where he (the architect) lived and see what it was like in his residence. There are also “lots of pillars” and “it was built it to become a school so there is a public school area.”

Castle wall in Avila:It was  “basically a strip of different kind of shops, with a huge church on the far end.” There were “a lot of locals” there and they “would go to bars there, it was not just tourists.” There was a “lookout” on top where you could “see all the castle buildings”.

*ALL SPAIN PHOTOS TAKEN BY ELIZA

Kerstin Westerlund

Cal Lutheran '20

Hello! My name is Kerstin Westerlund (pronounced "sher-stin") and I am a double major in Marketing Communication and Global Studies with a minor in French at California Lutheran University! A fun fact about me is that I am 100% Swedish-American and I played the violin in a Scandinavian music group for 8 years! Other than that, design, photography, traveling to cool places, learning different languages, fashion, cheesy dad jokes and OF COURSE writing Her Campus articles are some of many things that make me very happy! I hope you enjoy my articles!
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!