8 Things to do in the month of October

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

It’s hard to believe, but September has come and gone. Just because it’s too chilly to spend all day at the beach and the days are getting shorter, doesn’t mean your social calendar has to dry up. We’re officially deep into the fall season as we welcome October and there are plenty of fun things to fill your calendar with! 

1. Visit an Amusement Park

By the light of day, America’s biggest amusement parks entertain families in friendly, wholesome ways. As the sun sets, these same parks transform into spooky dens of phantasms and specters. Mazes and haunted houses fill darkened corners, where in many cases, actors skulk and skitter through pathways, pouncing on unsuspecting guests. Make sure to pay a visit to the following amusement parks: Six Flags Magic Mountain fright feast, Universal Studios Hollywood Halloween Horror Nights, Knott’s Berry Farms and last, but certainly not least,  Disneyland–no trip would be complete without a visit to the most magical place on earth! Especially this month of October.

2. Participate in a Breast Cancer Walk

October may be known for Halloween, pumpkin spice lattes and cozy sweaters, but most importantly, it is known as breast cancer awareness month. Fight in pink this month, join or make a team and participate in a walk such as Making Strides Against Cancer. By joining a breast cancer walk, you are fighting and honoring a loved one, survivors, and all the other strong fighters!

3. Visit a maze

Get out and enjoy the best corn mazes out there. Often featured in films, corn mazes are fun for all ages and this time of year, they can be found everywhere! Mazes can range from easy to difficult. Boccalis in Ojai, CA hosts a local event every October called Haunted Hayrides. Make sure to visit and check out their maze which is guaranteed to be lots of fun!

4. Catch the latest horror film

You could never go wrong with watching a film. Whether it’s at the comfort of your home or visiting a movie theater, this month binge watch your favorite Halloween films on Netflix, or catch the newest horror films at your local theater. You’re bound to have a scary good time.

5. Attend a Fall festival

This fall, be sure to take part in one of the many events and festivities that are going to be happening in the month of October. Festivals are abundant in the fall months. Visit your local county fair for some fun and good eats. Or take a drive down to Los Angeles and experience all of the fun festivals happening this month. All you film lovers can visit the Screamfest Horror film festival happening this month in LA.

6. Throw a Halloween partyYou might have been waiting for this month since last Halloween, and it’s finally here! ‘Tis the season for fake spider webs and pumpkin everything. You may have stopped trick-or-treating when you started middle school, but in college, Halloween is exciting again. This month, in celebration of Halloween, host or attend a Halloween party. It’s a great excuse to have fun and dress up as anything you like!

7. Visit a haunted house

October is the month to try all things scary and that means visiting some of the scariest haunted houses. If you don’t know of any haunted houses, some good places to visit are Reign of Terror Haunted House here in Thousand Oaks, or take a drive to LA and visit Los Angeles Haunted Hayride and get ready to face your biggest fears and have a blast all at the same time.

8. Visit the Pumpkin Patch

October isn’t complete without a visit to the pumpkin patch. This month take advantage of it and grab a friend or two and visit your local farms.

There you have it, collegiates! Now go out and check off your list of things to do in October!

All images courtesy of Photopin.com, tumblr.com and Unsplash.com

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!