kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

5 Questions Vegans Always Get Asked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Many vegans often get asked the same questions when telling others that they are vegan.  I picked the top five most frequently asked questions that I always get asked and answered them.

Where do you get your protein?

There are many ways of meeting the proper protein recommendations if you are vegan.  The most common foods that are vegan that are high in protein include tofu and beans.  However, foods that may not strike you as being high in protein are actually sufficient when trying to reach your protein intake goal.  According to a blog done by Kimberly Snyder, an accredited nutritionist, it is nearly impossible to be protein deficient.  I definitely recommend listening to her podcast if anyone is interested in learning more.  

What do you eat?

Vegans are able to eat a variety of different things, the only restrictions is that the food cannot include meat, dairy, fish, or eggs and for some vegans they do not include honey in their diets as well.  Some popular vegan meals include pasta, fresh fruits and vegetables, beans, rice; the list is endless.  For some great vegan recipes, check out the Cheap Lazy Vegan’s Youtube channel.Photo Courtesy of UnSplash.com

How do you live without meat?

For each person, living without meat can be a different experience.  For me, excluding meat from my diet was not difficult at all.  I never really enjoyed meat.  It was easy for me to find vegan alternatives and then eventually transition into not even desiring alternative meat products.  The hardest thing to give up when becoming vegan was dairy because I loved chocolate and cheese, but since being vegan I have found many different companies that are cruelty-free, and vegan that have a lot of chocolate options for whenever I am having those chocolate cravings.

What’s the difference between vegan and vegetarian?

The main difference between vegan and vegetarian is that vegans do not eat meat, dairy, fish, or eggs and vegetarians do not eat meat or fish but still have dairy and eggs in there diet.

So, you only eat salads right?

This is a common misconception about vegans.  There are many food options aside from salad that vegans eat on a regular basis.  Vegans are able to eat essentially anything as long as the meat, dairy, fish, and eggs is substituted for vegan alternatives, which can be found at almost any health food stores these days.  Also due to the rising popularity in veganism, there are even more options in grocery stores everywhere.Photo Courtesy of UnSplash.com

These where the top five frequently asked questions that I always get asked personally.  I left out one frequently asked question which is “Why did you decide to go vegan?” because the answer to this changes from person to person.  I hope that this was useful and you found out a little more about veganism.

Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!