etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Best Things to Do in San Francisco

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Having lived for a semester and spent spring break of 2018 in San Francisco, I decided to spend yet another spring break there. Not only did I go for Spring Break, but also to celebrate being on earth for two decades! San Francisco is, as of now, my favorite city ever and here are five things you can do if you are ever in the Bay Area!

1. Eat at Home Cafe SF

If you are a fan of latte art and avocado toast, Home Cafe is your spot! Not only is it known for its trendy and Instagram-worthy drinks and toasts, but also for its aesthetic and friendly workers. This is one of my favorite spots to go to if I need to study or meet up with friends. Without a doubt, every time I walk in, I always feel cozy, comforted, and welcomed.

Address: 2018 Clement St, San Francisco, CA 94121

2. See the Rainbow Crosswalk at Castro

Castro District is the most vibrant of all of San Francisco, in my opinion. It was installed back in October of 2014 in support and honor of those in the LGBTQIA+ community. I would like to say it adds even more flavor to the already flavorful city and it makes me feel welcomed every time I drive by or walk on it.

Address: 4114 18th Street San Francisco California 94114, San Francisco, CA 94114

3. Take in all of San Francisco at Coit Tower

For only $9.00 a ticket, an elevator can be taken all the way to the top (210 feet) where an impeccable 360 degree view of San Francisco can be seen. It was built between 1932 and 1933 and named after Lillie Hitchcock Coit who requested it to be built so others too could enjoy the city she so loved. This is by far one of my favorite attractions I have ever visited. Being so high up made me scared and euphoric at the same time. Being up there and being able to look down at the city made me fall in love with San Francisco even more.

Address: 1 Telegraph Hill Blvd, San Francisco, CA 94133

4. Find your favorite spot at Mission Dolores Park

This is yet another favorite place of mine to visit. Here you will find a lot of cute dogs roaming around, on and off their leashes, going up to people and having a jolly ole time. When it’s nice out, you will also find a lot of people sunbathing, reading, hanging out with friends, and more! In addition, it has a playground and is suitable for those of all ages!

Address: Dolores St & 19th St, San Francisco, CA 94114

5. Visit the Painted Ladies

Right across from Alamo Square, the Painted Ladies are a row of Victorian houses that were painted three or more colors each to accentuate its features. The significance of the colors you might wonder, is due to the colorist movement which is seen to have taken place in the 1960s. The Painted Ladies were seen to be featured in the show “Full House” in the 1990s, but have also made its appearance in other TV shows and movies too.

Address: Steiner St & Hayes St, San Francisco, CA 94117

If you ever get the chance, I hope you get to do some of these things the next time you’re in the Bay area!

All photos courtesy of author

Sandy Nguyen

Cal Lutheran '21

Hi there! I am a student at California Lutheran University pursuing a B.S. in Business Administration as well as minors in Philosophy and Entrepreneurship! I love going to concerts and making people laugh!
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!