30 Days of Heartwork

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Too often we find ourselves wrapped up so tightly in our own world that we struggle to breathe, gasping for any spare air we can find throughout the day to put the mind at ease and relax for a moment or two. Unfortunately, randomly showing kindness to others has become somewhat of a rarity in this culture, and is looked at as an action done to solicit something in return. Being a true “hero” in society is a dying art, as so many people have forgotten how to show kindness to those in need. Like painting a masterpiece, random acts of kindness are a work of heart, and must come from a place of genuine sincerity. I encourage you to exercise your heart these next 30 days by showing one (or more!) random act of kindness to someone. You don’t know how much it means to those who witness it!

1.       Write a letter or send a card to someone you love “just because.”

2.       Give 3 genuine, unsolicited compliments.

3.       Buy a Starbucks drink (or other food) for the person behind you in line.

4.       Post a photo on social media of you and a friend with an encouraging caption about them/ how much they mean to you.

5.       Find 5 items you can donate to Goodwill or to the Salvation Army.

6.       Pick up 3 pieces of trash – we need to be kind to the Earth, too!

7.       Offer to help someone carry their things.

8.       Tape a few quarters to a vending machine with a note that reads: “Your treat is on me! Have a good day!”

9.       Put change in a meter that is about to run out.

10.   Go out of your way to make a new friend.

11.   Call a loved one you haven’t spoken to in a while.

12.   Leave an encouraging sticky note on someone’s car windshield.

13.   Bring treats to share with your coworkers.

14.   Give up your seat for someone in need of one.

15.   Let a car merge in front of you, and give them a smile afterward.

16.   Thank someone who has a job not many people would be willing to do.

17.   Ask someone how their day is, and really listen.

18.   Give a generous tip to a waiter/waitress.

19.   Hold the door open for someone.

20.   Be a designated driver.

21.   Return a rogue shopping cart/basket. – (You won’t believe how appreciated this one is!)

22.   Give a care-package to a homeless person.

23.   Give a hug to someone.

24.   Apologize to someone you know you should.

25.   Support local shops.

26.   Share an uplifting article with a friend who may need it/ like it.

27.   Go the whole day without saying anything negative.

28.   Smile, just because!

29.   Volunteer to do a task you wouldn’t otherwise do.

30.   Pick Your Own!

Of course, these are just suggestions for random acts of kindness so if you have any that you’d like to demonstrate toward others that aren’t already on this list, go for it! You won’t believe how much of an impact you could make in someone’s life just by showing them a little kindness. Being a” hero” doesn’t require super strength or supernatural powers; it requires a heart that is dedicated to blessing the lives of others before your own. Have fun with this challenge and pass it along!

o s

Bowdoin '17

*
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!