12 Reasons Why Having Younger Sisters is the Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

One of my longest standing, consistent parts of my identity is being an older sister. Although I was a child who initially wanted to have all the attention (legend has it I screamed “Put Katie down!” when I was two and my baby sister had just been born), I eventually learned that having younger sisters is wonderful for many reasons. Here are some of my top ones:

1. You have an excuse to keep doing things that are meant for children long after it’s acceptable for your age group. I consistently played Barbies until I was 14, because my 5-year-old sister loved it.

2. They get your old clothes. This sounds kind of weird, but it’s definitely endearing to see your younger sisters in outfits that you used to wear when you were their age, especially if it becomes their new favorite dress or sweater.

3. You can be real with them about the ways of the world. No matter the question they ask, you have an answer and they will take you word seriously.4. You always have your go-to’s at family events. Who else would you sit next to at the table of 20? (Same goes for vacations.)

5. You feel comfortable doing whatever you want around them, because they know your true self the way no one else does.

6. Since you’re the first one to go through everything, like your period, driving lessons and college applications, you’re the person that they (and your parents) go to as an experienced guide.

7. Continuing from Reason #6, you can’t wait to see them experience all the amazing things in their life that will happen for them as they grow older, and you know you’ll be there through it all.

8. You plan the best holiday and birthday surprises because you’re the older sister, so it’s basically your job to make them feel special.

9. You are their #1 defender and protector. Nobody messes with your younger sister and makes it out unscathed. 

10. Your friends will love them, care for them and hang out or play with them like they are their own siblings.11. When they become old enough, the things you will experience together change in unexpected, but usually good ways. (Think: visiting the zoo to having Starbucks study dates.)

12. You have a plethora of shared memories and inside jokes that are unique from anything else. You have built-in best friends, and honestly, what’s not to love about younger sisters? (As I wrote this, my 9-year-old sister farted on my head, so I take back everything.)

Photos courtesy of the author

My name is Samantha Meyer, but most people call me Sam. I'm a freshman at Cal Lutheran University in Thousand Oaks, California. I'm an Interdisciplinary Studies Major, and I hope to teach first grade, become a principal, and write novels. I have a high school background in journalistic writing and photography. You can find me at your nearest Trader Joes or coffee shop, catching up on world news, Cosmo's snap story or just snacking on some quality fruits.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!