This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Christmas is just around the corner! Surprisingly our current Christmas traditions were not always the way they are now and they actually have roots in a combination of different ancient cultures. Here are eleven facts about the world’s most widespread holiday!

1. Christmas actually had its roots in pagan festivals and was considered illegal to celebrate! In Boston until the year 1681, you were fined if you were caught honoring the holiday.

2. Santa Claus was originally dressed in blue or green! Coca-Cola dressed him in red in a 1930’s soda ad and the tradition stuck!

3. Santa Claus’s original name was Saint Nicholas and was based off of a Christian bishop who would give presents to the needy in 300 AD.

4. Leaving cookies for Santa started when a group for Dutch children left out dinner for Saint Nicholas on his feast day.

5. Rudolph was actually created when the department store Montgomery Ward needed a character for their holiday coloring books.

6. Tinsel, a German decoration, was originally made of real silver.

7. The very first Christmas was celebrated in Rome on December 25, 336 AD.

8. In Poland, spiderwebs are used as decorations because the spider is a symbol of prosperity. In their version of the Christmas story, a spider weaved a bed out of spider web for baby Jesus.

9. “Jingle Bells” was originally a Thanksgiving carol.

10. Americans ship a total of 28.2 million gifts according to Goodhousekeeping.com

11. Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas” is the most played Christmas song, also reported by Goodhousekeeping.com

Share these facts with a friend and blow their mind this season! Happy Holidays, everyone!

*all media courtesy of Photopin.com

Erin Niemi

Cal Lutheran '20

Erin Niemi is a student at California Lutheran University and is pursuing her BA in Communication. When she isn't typing up a Her Campus article at a local coffee shop, you may find her at a concert, the beach or the movies! Erin is passionate about local news, beauty, science, sports, entertainment and music. She is also a huge Star Wars and MCU geek, and she will happily talk about either for hours if given the opportunity.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!