10 Things You Understand When Your BFF is a Commuter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

With a school that’s nearly 50 percent commuters, it’s hard to not befriend one of them. But for a select few residents and commuters, the acquaintanceship that usually consists of a “hello” on the spine or a “how are you” in the library becomes stronger, forming into the true BFF relationship. Here are a few things only people with commuter BFFs will understand:

“Are you on campus today?”

Commuters have this magic way of working out their schedule so they get at least one day of the week off. I guess you learn to do that if it means the difference between driving to campus for one class or chilling at home for an entire day.

Weekends are so lonely.

Your BFF isn’t around to hang out on the days you have the most time to hang out. It’s like an inescapable oxymoron of loneliess.

After their last class, they go straight home.

Commuters don’t want to stick around hours after their last class. So if you got any plans or work that needs to get done, do it fast so your commuter BFF can go home.

They never want to come to improv.

To a commuter, improv means leaving campus and driving home after midnight and then having to get up early the next morning just to drive back again. But what’s the fun in improv if you don’t have your BFF to watch it with?

Half of your friendship consist of phone calls and snap chats.

Some days it feels like you might as well be long-distance BFFs.

You get a second home.

“Want to come over for dinner?” is the best statement you can hear from a commuter. Home-cooked meals from your second mother/father are BEAUTIFUL.

They know the area.

You don’t have to figure out where the Iceoplex is or look up direction to Walmart, because your commuter’s got your back.

Study groups are impossible.

Commuters want to go home after class, but a study group’s prime time is closer to 10 pm.

Sleep Overs.

If you do, by some magic, get your commuter BFF to stay later into the day, they need a place to stay, so the couch or your dorm room floor is their best bet.

But no matter what, you love your commuter BFF, and you wouldn’t trade ’em for the world.

Rachael Balcom

Cal Lutheran

Rachael is a Cal Lutheran junior and communication major also following the premed track. Originally from San Diego, she enjoys juggling, well-buttered popcorn, and writing about unpopular opinions.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!