10 Awesome Hikes Within 20 Minutes of CLU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Thousand Oaks is somewhat unique in its proximity to city life in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara while still maintaining wide open spaces to explore. In fact, the trail system throughout the area is so extensive that you could hike from Camarillo to Westlake and hardly ever have to leave it. Right now is prime time to get out there and enjoy some sunshine and fresh air, for last month’s storms have created an unbelievably green landscape filled with wildflowers. I’ve been checking out as many trails as I can in the area, and while I still have many more to explore, here are a few of my favorites, ordered by distance from campus:

On Campus

1) The CrossPhoto by Ellie Long. 

Who hasn’t been up to the cross? By following the trail system out behind the baseball fields, it’s only about a fifteen minute walk to the top of Mount Clef ridge, where the CLU-planted cross, convenient benches, and views of campus, Thousand Oaks, and Moorpark greet you. It’s a great spot to watch the sunset and find some quiet in a busy week.

In the Neighborhood

2) Lower Butte Trail

If you’ve ever been up to the cross and looked out over Thousand Oaks, you’ve probably noticed a particularly beautiful hill (or, in fact, a butte) to your right. Maybe you’ve even noticed a trail cutting through its lush grass. This is the Lower Butte trail, accessible by either following University trail west from the baseball fields, or by starting at the access point on Wildwood Avenue. While this trail is pretty enough on its own, especially with its current incredible wildflower bloom, it also serves as a convenient traverse between campus and Wildwood.

WildwoodPhoto by Ellie Long.

Wildwood park is just a five minute drive west down Avenida De Los Arboles from campus, and its intricate trail system allows countless opportunities for adventures. Many CLU students have checked out the famous Paradise Falls, but there’s so much more to explore.

3) Moonridge Trail

The Moonridge trail is a beautiful narrow trail winding just below the edge of Wildwood canyon. It’s a more exciting alternative to the main wide track cutting through the park. Moonridge includes bridges, curving stairs down and out of gullies, and sometimes follows a bit too close for comfort along cliff edges. The trail is interesting enough in itself, but can also be used to access Wildwood’s two biggest destinations: Paradise Falls and Snake Rock. The start of the Moonridge trail is found at the South end of the main parking lot, opposite the entrance to the main Mesa trail.

4) Santa Rosa Trail

The Santa Rosa trail winds up Mount Clef ridge, providing a good work out, views of the surrounding area and… access to CLU? That’s right, the Santa Rosa trail can be started either by turning right about a half-mile down the main Mesa trail in Wildwood and switch-backing up the ridge, or by leaving behind the baseball fields on campus, heading up the hill as if you were headed to the cross, but turning left instead of continuing straight at the fork. The top of the ridge is a fantastic sunset spot, and wildflowers along the duration of the trail are also spectacular right now.

5) Wildwood Canyon

While many people descend to the bottom of Wildwood canyon for the sole purpose of viewing Paradise Falls, this trail has much more to offer. By following the creek South of the falls, you get a more secluded and shady hike that switches back and forth on small bridges over the water. It also allows easy access to the Indian Caves, where preserved paintings can be seen. Wildwood Canyon trail has many access points, but I recommend following the signs to Paradise Falls from the main parking lots, but turning left instead of right at the Indian hut.

Lang Ranch Photo by Ellie Long. 

Far less crowded than Wildwood and in my opinion even more beautiful, Lang Ranch Open Space is about a 10 minutes drive east on Avenida De Los Arboles. Park at the end of Lang Ranch Parkway, and get ready to explore thousands of acres of rolling hills and breathtaking views.

6) Alapay Trail

Perhaps my favorite trail in the Thousand Oaks area, the Alapay trail wastes little time in climbing steeply up the largest hill in Lang Ranch. Along the way, you’ll get panoramic views of Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Moorpark, and endless green hills. At the very top, you can see out to Ventura and the ocean. To find to Alapay trail, simply start out from the park entrance on Lang Ranch Parkway and make the first left turn about ¼ mile down the trail.

7) Long Ridge Trail

While I would definitely recommend the Alapay trail to any Lang Ranch first-timers, the Long Ridge trail is fun as well and certainly less strenuous. This trail winds up and down the hills of the park, taking you along creeks flowing through valleys and past rocky cliffs. If you’re feeling especially ambitious, you can connect the Alapay trail and Long Ridge Trail for a grand loop of Lang Ranch. The Long Ridge trail is accessed by starting at the Lang Ranch Parkway entrance and simply staying right instead of left at the fork.

Conejo Canyons Open Space

Conejo Canyons Open Space is a smaller park found near the Amgen headquarters. It is about a 15 minute drive from campus by driving South on Lynn Road, making a right on Hillcrest, and finally making another right on Rancho Conejo Boulevard where there is a dirt parking lot. This park offers fantastic views over Camarillo and trails easily connect into Wildwood.

8) Hill Canyon Trail

Hill Canyon is an apt name for this trail, as for the majority of it you’ll find yourself steeply climbing hills then just as quickly plunging back into canyons. While it’s a workout, following this trail until it connects to the Western Plateau trail offers an incredible view of Camarillo and even the ocean on a clear day. While I have not yet had the opportunity to test it out, following the Western Plateau trail further takes you to an even higher hill crest. In addition, signs for “Wastewater treatment plant” off of the Hill Canyon trail takes you to Snake Rock in Wildwood.

Malibu Creek State Park

While further in terms of miles than the other hikes on this list, Malibu Creek State Park is still only a 20 minute drive from campus. You’ve probably seen the sign for it if you’ve taken Las Virgines Road (Exit 33 on 101 S) to Malibu. This enormous park is famous its scenery, opportunities for activities such as cliff diving, and for being the outdoor set of the TV show M*A*S*H.

9) Rock Pool

Ever seen the Buzzfeed video “People Who Are Afraid Of Heights Jump Off A Cliff”? If you have, you’ve seen the rock pool at Malibu Creek. The pool offers not only cliff diving (not a beginner’s spot, do not attempt without supervision), but also a rope swing and rock climbing. This spot can be accessed by following the signs along High Road, which leaves from the main parking lot, to Rock Pool Trail.

10) Backbone Trail

The Backbone trail is a famous 70 miles trail crossing through the entire Santa Monica Mountain range. While certainly completely this trail takes planning, experience, and time, you can get a sample of it by following the Tapia Spur Trail south from the main parking lot until they connect. Be prepared for a steep climb, and amazing views of Malibu Creek.

These ten hikes are certain to brighten anyone’s day, and it’s simply incredible how close they are to our campus. More information on access and trail maps can be found here for the hikes in Thousand Oaks, or here for Malibu Creek State Park. Again, the trail system in the area is amazingly extensive, so this list is in no ways comprehensive. However, as sunny days return to us, I hope it provides you with an idea of where to start when deciding to get out there and explore.

Ellie Long

Cal Lutheran '20

Ellie is a junior at Cal Lutheran, majoring in Political Science with minors in Creative Writing and Global Studies. She was born and raised in Seattle but loves living in sunny Southern California. Her favorite activities include hiking, running, cooking, and of course, writing. 
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!