Jasmine Mans: My Inspiration and Muse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cabrini chapter.

I was first introduced to my favorite poet in the spring of my freshman year of college. Since high school, the only name I’d known in slam poetry was Rudy Francisco and my interest in slam had blossomed since attending a poetry workshop offered at Cabrini.

Through endless YouTube searches, I found the Strivers Row channel and discovered Jasmine Mans.

“I Know You Didn’t Mean to Kill Him” was my first poem and still brings shivers down my spine. “Waiting” still brings tears to my eyes each time. “Dear Ex-Lover” and “Gardenia” both contain quotes I think about almost weekly. I can recite “You Gone Get This Work” word for word and it holds its spot as my all-time favorite. “Footnotes for Kanye” read my exact thoughts and feelings about Mr. West.

In her hometown of Newark, New Jersey, Mans began writing poetry in middle school and was inspired by Tupac’s rhyme, style and storytelling. She then attended the nation’s first performing arts high school, Newark Arts High School. The 24 year old is a 2014 graduate of the University of Wisconsin- Madison with a bachelor’s degree in African-American Studies (Black Theory & Literature).

She was chosen as one of Glamour Magazine’s Top 10 Most Influential Women in College. Mans has received the Star Ledger from New Jersey Performing Arts Center, Arts Millennia, and the New York Knicks Poetry Slam scholarships and awards. She has competed on Brave New Voices and has opened for artists like Janelle Monae and Mos Def. Her first book, Chalk Outlines of Snow Angels was released in May 2012.

She is the personification of my inspiration and a muse for my written words.

Her words have fed me when I have starved creatively and healed me when I was spiritually, mentally and emotionally bruised.

Mans speaks on the highs and lows of life and the raw emotions that encompass both extremes.

Mans is an interactive person. We aren’t just fans or those who admire her work. She stands with us as artists and as everyday people. It’s a two-way conversation with her, she recognizes us as much as we do her. She has mentored and taught creative students at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in its First Wave program. She has created curriculums to exercise the creative mind through writing and performance.

She has taught me to take more pride in my work. She created an Instagram page called IGPoetry and asked anyone to send in short pieces of work. I flocked at the chance, but remember criticizing potential pieces before I sent the email.

My heart skipped a beat when I saw that she had not only posted the piece on the IGPoetry page, but had also posted it on her personal Instagram page.

Many may call the best moments of their lives the time they met their hero or favorite celebrity in person, but knowing that my favorite artist acknowledged my work in more ways than one has changed the way I perceive my creative self forever. It gave me the confidence needed to find the positive in my work instead of always searching for the edit. It encouraged me to take more risks in life and be okay with saying my work is good.

Mans is universal; we all can find a piece of ourselves within her words and I challenge you to do so.

Angelica Little is a senior communication major at Cabrini College. In between watching countless makeup tutorials and browsing Missguided she finds time to get her work done. Although raised in Massachusetts and studying in Pennsylvania, Angelica is a die-hard OKC Thunder fan and Kevin Durant enthusiast. When she doesn't spend all her money on food she usually blows it with online shopping.
Erica is a senior at Cabrini College, majoring in communication with a minor in Spanish and is a Campus Correspondent of Her Campus' Cabrini chapter. She loves writing and hopes to make a career of it one day. Despite being a commuter, you can most often find her in her second home: the newsroom. In her free time, you can find her catching up on the latest episode of "Pretty Little Liars" or "The Bachelor," writing about trending and entertainment topics, as well as obsessing over the latest news from Imagine Dragons.