This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

I’ve been hearing about kombucha for a few years now but had yet to try it until recently. I had heard about the health benefits, and lots of people said it tasted gross and vinegary, but after seeing it on the menu at Basic Kitchen, I decided to try it. I was pleasantly surprised. It was delicious! Although I enjoyed the glass I had, I left wondering, wait, what even is kombucha?

What is kombucha?

Kombucha is made from fermented black or green tea and usually has added sweeteners and flavors. The basic ingredients are tea, sugar, bacteria, and yeast. That may sound a little gross, but the bacteria is apart of what makes this drink so healthy, it also makes this product require refrigeration.

What are the health benefits?

The big benefits of kombucha are detoxification, immune system support, and improved digestion. This is highly due to the probiotics in the fermented tea and its ability to support gut health, according to HealthLine. Some people talk about the benefits of this product for weight loss, but this may just be an effect of the drinks other health benefits or additives in the drink.

The best tasting brands (in my opinion) and where to find them:

Dalai Sofia: My all-time favorite brand is the Charleston-based group Dalai Sofia. They have many different flavors, with my personal favorites being This Lil’ Peach and Strange Thing. This brand is sold at a large number of places in the area, including Mount Pleasant. The closest places to campus that they are sold are Basic Kitchen, Caviar & Bananas, Kudu and Playa Bowls. They have a full list of locations on their website.

https://www.pintaram.com/u/dalaisofia

GT’s: This brand can be found at most large stores. This is one of the most popular kombucha brands around the country. They have a very large variety of flavors and drinks for specific health benefits. This company even has a kombucha mixed with cold brew tea as a healthy alternative to other sugary coffee drinks.

http://grovara.com/gt-kombucha/

Kombucha is not compatible with everyone’s taste due to its tartness, but I hope that this does not discourage you from exploring it. Enjoy!

Julia Mimo

C of C '22

I am a junior at the College of Charleston studying theater with a concentration in scenic design. I am an out-of-state student from Connecticut. I love spending time outside (especially to find dogs to pet!) and I love being active!