This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

I am from a small town in Mississippi called Cleveland. Haven’t heard of it? No one has, it’s okay. As of the 2018 census, there are around 11,000 residents in Cleveland. That is about the size of, if not smaller than, the number of students at the College of Charleston. Some students come to CofC from huge cities, so Charleston is no big deal for them. But to me, it was like a whole different world.

When it was finally time for me to move, I was so nervous and I honestly thought that I had made the wrong decision (I’ve never told anyone that, so shhh). I didn’t know anything about the city, I didn’t know anyone here, and I would be so far away from everyone I loved. But for years, I’d been saying that’s exactly what I wanted, so, stubborn as I am, I couldn’t take it back. As anxious as I was, I really was ready to get away from my hometown. Don’t get me wrong, there are some great people, but it’s just not for me. One of the reasons I chose Charleston was because it is so different. As different as you can find while still in the South, at least.

As it turns out, coming to Charleston all on my own is the best decision I could have made. I needed a change and this was the perfect one. I have never been as happy as I am now in this new city, becoming more and more familiar with it every day. I have to say, I do miss the familiarity of a small town, but Charleston has made me get out of my comfort zone and learn that change can be a great thing, even if it is a little scary at first. 

Regardless of others’ opinions, you should always do what you think will make you happy, and coming to Charleston was the right choice for me. Take a leap! Find a new home, find new friends, and find a new you.

Ava Lubin

C of C '23

Hey! I'm Ava. I'm from Cleveland, Mississippi, and I'm a sophomore majoring in Psychology and minoring in Italian Studies. I love being with friends, going to concerts, and travelling!