Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why You Should Definitely Get the Birth Control Implant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

There are so many different types of birth control that are accessible to women in this day and age, like the pill, the IUD, the depo shot, male condoms, female condoms, spermicide, the patch, the sponge, the ring, and last, but obviously not least, the implant!

Out of all of these wonderful options that we are lucky to have access to, the implant is definitely the best option. Nexplanon, also known as the birth control implant, is the most effective form of birth control – especially when paired with a condom! While many of the previously listed birth control methods are highly effective, typically in the 90-99 percent range, Nexplanon is more than 99% effective. Not to mention, 100% free of cost with most health insurances!

Why put up with all of the trouble of having to regularly take care of your birth control. You have to remember to take the pill every day at the same time, you have to schedule an appointment to get the depo shot every couple of months with your doctor, you have to keep up with and take care of your condoms. The implant, however, lasts for up to five years. Once you have it inserted, you don’t have to worry about it for years! No forgetting and no upkeep, it is always there to protect you from unwanted pregnancy! Like almost every birth control however, the implant does not protect against STIs, so if you or your partner haven’t been tested, or are not completely monogamous, keep those condoms on! 

I have been on Nexplanon for a year now, and it has saved me so much worry and time while keeping me free from parenthood the entire time! In my experience having the birth control implant, I have had no complications or bad experiences. While picking what birth control is right for you is a very personal decision, I highly recommend this method of birth control to all women!

Picture Sources:

https://tenor.com/view/kermit-yay-gif-8712171

http://www.chicagonow.com/hippy-shakes/2019/02/is-there-anything-more-icky-than-having-sex-with-a-used-condom/

My name is Claire Jackson! I am a Biochemistry and Spanish major. I love to travel, try new things, and go to the beach!