Anna Schultz-Blue College Hat
Anna Schultz-Blue College Hat
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

Why I Chose, and Love, My Psychology Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Let’s start with a little background info: I decided in fourth grade that I wanted to be a teacher. I don’t know why, I don’t know how, but that was it. I took special classes for teaching in high school. I even ended up teaching elementary for my school district. I loved going to work, and I loved my kids, but I finally realized by the end of my senior year that teaching wasn’t what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I’m way too stubborn, so actually admitting, out loud, that I had changed my mind was a huge deal.  

So, I came to college with no clue what I wanted to do. I didn’t know what classes to take or what to major in, so I was pretty much just doing what I was told. To fill a general education requirement, I took Introduction to Psychology. My uncle is a psychology professor, so I had a little exposure to the subject, but that was it. I figured it would be fun, and if nothing else, it would give us something to talk about. A month or so into the course, I loved it and knew that this was what I wanted to study. Not only is the department absolutely amazing, but I’ve learned so much about myself and the people around me. I’m slowly learning why I do certain things, react the way I do, and different ways to better deal with and understand my anxiety and depression. It has also made me way more understanding and patient, and I can’t wait to learn more. 

We’re always told that the point of college is to study something practical that will allow you to have a high paying job. Yes, having a high paying job is great, but what does it matter if you don’t enjoy what you’re doing? Also, there’s no need to rush yourself past what you’re comfortable with. Want to declare a major right away? Great. Want to take a million different classes and then decide? That’s great, too. Whatever works for you, works for you! College shouldn’t be about going on a pre-med track to make your family happy. It should be about finding something that makes you excited, something that makes you want to learn. Thankfully, psychology is that for me. 

Ava Lubin

C of C '23

Hey! I'm Ava. I'm from Cleveland, Mississippi, and I'm a sophomore majoring in Psychology and minoring in Italian Studies. I love being with friends, going to concerts, and travelling!