What You Missed: Cooper River Bridge Run

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

On April 1st, nearly 40,000 people made their way to downtown Charleston for the 40th annual Cooper River Bridge run.  The 10k (6.2 mile) race stretches from Mount Pleasant, over the Cooper River (Ravenel) Bridge and through the streets of Downtown Charleston.  Racers then proceeded to Marion Square for festivities from sponsors like Boeing, Harris Teeter, Jim’n’Nick’s Barbeque and more.  

Photo from Instagram.

As someone who has been to the bridge run since coming to College of Charleston, it’s always shocking how fast the winners can finish the run in.  This year was no different.  Overall winner, Shadrack Kipchirchir, finished the race in 28 minutes and 12 seconds.  That’s faster than most of us can do our eyeliner in, which is amazing! Second place winner, Edwin Rotich, followed closely behind at 28 minutes and 14 seconds and third place winner, Domonic Ondoro, came in at 28 minutes and 33 seconds.  

These were not the only winners though for the race.  Race officials announced winners for the mobility and wheelchair groups as well.  In first place for the wheelchair division was James Senbata at a quick 25 minutes and 16 seconds.  Closely behind him was Krige Schabort at 25 minutes and 17 seconds.  For the mobility division, winner Adam Findeisen came in at 46 minutes and 27 seconds.  He was followed by Charlestonian Jeff Nolan at 50 minutes and 40 seconds.  

Turning to the amazing women that ran the race, they absolutely killed it.  In first place overall for the women was Monicha Ngige at 32 minutes and 40 seconds.  Closely behind her was Elvin Kibet at 32 minutes and 45 seconds.  In third place, with a still amazing time, was Mamitu Daska at 32 minutes and 47 seconds.  

Photo from Instagram.

At the close of the race, many donned costumes and took part in a costume contest for runners.  “Will Run for Beer” and “Will Run for Wine” shirts were a plenty as well as Wonder Woman costumes and bananas (an essential food when taking on running).  

Overall, the race had an amazing turn out for it’s 40th year and men and women alike ran their hearts out and definitely “got over it.”  If you’re interested in running the race next year or in the future make sure to rest up and practice so that you too can “get over it” and partake in this Charleston tradition. A complete list of race results is available at the Cooper River Bridge Run’s website.

Born and raised in the northernmost state, Alaska, Marissa flew south to College of Charleston for a little more sun and a little more heat.  She believes a good life involves coffee, puppies, and more coffee and free time is her favorite thing not to have.