This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Have you ever had a creative block before? Whether you’re a writer, painter, or other creator, most of us know this feeling. Creativity is something that can only arise if your soul is not tired or burdened. How do you generate creativity and inspiration when you do not feel inspired? It is okay, and it is normal to feel emotionally heavy. There are many days where I sit down and can’t even seem to remember what words are. I am going to share some tips I have found helpful to get out of a creative rut.

Look At Appealing Things

Simply looking at pretty things can help to spark some creativity. Whether it’s Pinterest boards or nature, look at things you find pretty. It sounds silly, but sometimes it can help.

Paint Or Doodle

There is something about undirected doodling, drawing, or painting that I find calming. It relaxes me when my mind seems exhausted, and I encourage you to try it, too. Creating something for fun rather than for a purpose can bring satisfaction.

Take Yourself Back

Think back to one of the first times you felt inspired. Try and dig into those roots and remember the emotions you felt. This is one exercise that I find the most helpful. What were those initial moments where you felt inspired?

Listen To Music 

Whatever your taste, I encourage you to listen to some music. Sometimes branching out and listening to a different kind of music can make you widen your perspective or mindset and spark some newfound inspiration. Even listening to current favorites or songs you used to love can bring up emotions and encourage creativity. 

These are just a few tips I’ve found helpful to calm my exhausted mind when I seem to be having a creative block. I do not like when my mind feels empty of ideas or creativity, but I try to not let it set me back. Instead, I see it as a reminder to myself that I might need a break. Even trying meditation to allow space for your imagination can be helpful as well. Sometimes we need an extra push. Next time you feel yourself put down by a creative block, try some of these tips to search for inspiration.

I am a freshman at the College of Charleston and absolutely love this city. I am an English EDEN major and plan to travel and teach after graduation!