This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

As someone who would consider themselves very observant, self-aware, and an avid journal-er I have noticed the emergent theme in my life this week seems to be the importance of standing up for yourself. To family, to a roommate, to a fellow tenant, standing up for yourself in any situation is an invaluable life lesson, and one that has clearly been bestowed upon me this week. 

It began when I met with a friend for coffee earlier this week, and the hot topic of discussion was boundaries with friends who are also roommates. It’s no secret that living with friends presents a whole new host of obstacles, and addressing those obstacles isn’t always easy or clear. Especially in this case, in which my friend often has trouble asserting herself and asking for what she needs. I was more than proud to hear that she finally voiced her concerns (feelings of being talked down to, possessiveness, etc.), and although the outcome was an unfavorable one she too was proud of the fact that she had stood up for herself. 

As I thought about her situation on my walk home, I certainly didn’t anticipate I would be thrown into a similar one myself. Another tenant in my apartment complex has decided that my parking spot is theirs, and since then, the mere sight of a black Mazda will send me spiraling. Despite numerous texts and a slew of ongoing communications, the Mazda and I simply cannot see eye to eye. Although if I were to explain this situation in greater detail, which I will not make anyone suffer through, you would easily see that I am right.

However, whether or not I’m right is not important to the general point of this article, which hopefully you haven’t forgotten by now is the importance of standing up for yourself. Standing up for yourself, or rather standing in for yourself, is an important exercise in deepening self-worth, boosting self-respect, creating boundaries, along with other things. Even in an uncomfortable situation, with an unsavory outcome, my friend was still proud of herself for standing up, despite supposed obstacles. I’ve chosen to learn from my friend this week, to take a lesson in standing up for myself in my parking ordeal – you should too.

Hi, I'm Piper, a second year student at the College of Charleston. I love hiking the Palmetto Trail with my dogs, enjoying Chucktown's good eats, and discovering new music.