This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

In the past, I have taken three online courses, and this semester I am taking five, so you could technically call me an expert! Online classes are not for everyone, but allow this article to help you decide whether you should add one or two to your schedule!

Let’s start with the negatives first. A major con of taking online courses is not being in a classroom setting with a professor teaching you material in person. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on who you are. You just have to be more careful not to get distracted! This brings us to the next con: you have to always check OAKS to see when things are due because there is no one to remind you. Another con is that you have to email the professor if you have any questions, and they can take a few days to answer. Most professors that I’ve had have an “Ask Three, Then Me” policy, where you should ask three classmates then the professor if you don’t find an answer.

As for the positives, online classes are, well…online. You don’t have a class period time like 10-10:50 am where you have to be in class. You can log in and do the work whenever you want as long as it’s before the due date. (For the most part; a few online classes are face to face.) Along with that, you have more free time to study for other classes or basically anything else you want to do. This tends to be a big thing for college students that have a busy schedule or just want time to relax. Another pro is that you can do the work anywhere you want, such as in the comfort of your own home, outside on a nice day, etc.

Think about what kind of student you are. If you really love being taught by a professor and interacting with other students, then don’t take an online class because you probably won’t enjoy it. On the other hand, if you are like me and dread going to class but are good at staying on top of your work, try out an online course!