This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Dear Whoever Needs This,

You may or may not know me, and I may or may not know you, but that doesn’t matter. What matters is that despite every doubt or excuse you have, I want you to know that you are BEYOND enough.

If you happen to know me, then you have this predetermined image of me in your mind and you have these assumptions about me and my life. Well… let me go ahead and tell you that all of that is probably false or completely inaccurate. I am a big believer in fake it till you make it, so I will be one of the first people to put on a smile even if I am having the worst day ever. My life may look like rainbows and unicorns from an outsider’s perspective, but I have my fair share of bad attitudes, crappy days, and not so happy thoughts, but I refuse to let them control my outlook on life. It’s a crappy situation, crappy hour, or crappy day, not a crappy life.

Someone else’s opinions of you do not define you. 

Let me say it a little louder for those in the back. SOMEONE ELSE’S OPINIONS OF YOU DO NOT DEFINE YOU. The only person whose opinion you should listen to is your own (sometimes your mother’s, but not always). What someone else thinks about you is none of your business. If you are happy and healthy in your own skin, then ignore everyone else’s comments and continue to love yourself and live your happy life.

You are your own worst critic. 

More than half of the things that you do not like about yourself, other people do not see or every notice. No one critiques you as you critique yourself and if someone does, then drop them like a hot potato because you do not need that negative energy in your life. You also do not need your own negative energy impacting your life. Negative energy often comes from high expectations; though they are great, realistic expectations are better. You know yourself better than anyone else, so pushing yourself is good, but always remember you cannot accomplish everything in one day and that failing is just learning.

You are enough.

There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it! You are enough, no matter what someone else says or even what you say. If someone ever tells you that you aren’t enough, just remember that they are fighting their own battles and that their opinion does not matter. No one has the right to make you feel as though you are not enough. No matter how much I tell you this, it will only mean something when you start to believe it yourself. 

The best advice that I can give you is, the best advice my mother has ever given me, “become comfortable in your own skin and become comfortable with who YOU are”. Once you are comfortable in your own skin and love yourself beyond all of your flaws, then someone else’s opinions cannot have an influence on you or how you see yourself.

Take a break from everything and start working on yourself, for yourself. You have to love yourself before you can love anyone else or accept someone else’s love.

Sincerely, 

Someone who has been where you are

I am a Sophomore here at the College of Charleston. I am currently working towards an Anthropology & Biology major with a minor in Crime, Law, & Society. I really want to go into the forensics field or something similar. I love self-help books, stress baking, and hanging out with my sorority sisters.