This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

The blazing heat of August flees

In its place a crispness

Through the city a cleaning breeze

Washes away the dankness

For months, I yearned

Wishing away the summer

Willing the clock to turn 

To make one season turn to another

As September crept into my sights

I anticipated the cooler time to come

With earlier days and sooner nights

I wandered outside of my home

As I walk the streets

Of this gorgeous old town

My eyes soon meet

Blazing shades of orange and brown

Rainbow Row gains more color

The sky becomes open and clear

The hues unlike any other

Making Autumn the most vibrant time of year 

The leaves blow through the air

Carrying the most enticing fragrance

The Market’s vendors begin to prepare

Treats and flavors that I consider a favorite

The breeze heavy with cinnamon and pumpkin spice

Dances around me 

In my world, it is paradise

A place I always wish to be

I call this beautiful city home

This season is my most beloved

I adore the orange against the palms

I live for Autumn in Charleston

———————————————————

Anyone who knows me knows that the latter months of the year are the months that I live for. I spend most of my time outside, especially enjoying the cooler weather. If you live in Charleston, you know that enjoying the city outdoors during July and August simply isn’t possible without a heavy commiseration of stickiness and misery. The heat and humidity make the summertime go from hot to downright sickening. So, when September closes and October begins, the city cools down. Those months are nice, but I find the month to really love being here is November. This is my favorite month in Charleston because it is this beautiful bridge between it being dank and sweltering and then being freezing. This time of year is so inspiring to me. I find myself constantly musing over verses as I go on walks to enjoy the weather. This poem is a collection of those thoughts and ponderings I have while wandering downtown.

Arwen Jeger

C of C '25

Heyo! I'm just a gal that loves to read, watch movies, and explore the world around me. If you ever need a good book or show to get into, or just a solid piece of advice, I got your back!