Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Career

My Top 6 Favorite Places to Cry at the College of Charleston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

This year wrapped up very unexpectedly, to say the least. So lately, I’ve been reflecting on my time at CofC and I found a theme in the four years. I cried. A lot. So as a soon-to-be-graduate, my gift to you all is a definitive ranking of the six best places to cry on campus when you just can’t anymore.

6. My Professors’ Offices

Even though I wouldn’t call this a “best” place, it was still terribly common. Absolutely zero out of five stars. Would not recommend. Shout out to Dr. Carens, Dr. Warnick, Dr. Pagnotta, and Dr. Holmes, though!! Y’all have really seen me at my lowest. 

5. Maybank Third Floor Bathroom

As an English major, I had the majority of my classes in this building. And while it’s great for convenience, I ranked this one lower because there’s a lot of foot traffic, and you can never really get any privacy. Fun fact, you may know that they repaint the doors white to cover graffiti, but did you know they also have to re-tile the floors because my tears have repeatedly eroded away the tiles?

4. Berry Residence Hall

Home sweet home. I mean, I haven’t been here since freshman year, but wow! The versatility! Where am I gonna have my panic attack today? My dorm room? My friend’s dorm room? The fifth floor back stairwell? The lobby guest bathroom? I liked to switch it up. 

3. Lightsey Center First Floor Bathroom

The seclusion is what sells this one, and I can bet at least half of you don’t even know which bathroom I’m talking about. I stumbled upon this precious gem when I was actually just looking for a water fountain. I think I’ll miss this spot the most. 

2. The Cistern

This one’s really all about the aesthetics. True Cougar spirit. The Cistern has seen my tears both day and night, but dang, taking a 2 am insomnia-fueled stroll through campus blinded by your own stress and tears after spending all day at the library really hits different with those twinkle lights and Spanish moss. 

1. My Car, Wentworth Parking Garage

This is a recent addition! For my senior year, I moved to James Island, so I had to pay an ungodly amount of money for one of those coveted parking garage passes. But you know what else I got? Therapy on wheels, baby. The dimly lit garage set the tone for sadness perfectly, and between that and my tinted windows, I could really let the tears flow before and after class. Just close the car door, turn up your saddest song, and bam. Instant catharsis. 

I hope you all continue to treasure these spots as much as I have and be sure to let me know your favorite crying spots!

*If school is getting really stressful, and you find yourself crying a lot, the College has free counseling services. You don’t have to cry alone. 

Claire Grulick is a proud dog mom and resides with her shepherd mix, Ruby, in Charleston, South Carolina where she is in her senior year at The College of Charleston. While she should be studying English, writing, rhetoric, and publishing, she is often found at the beach with a book and a collection of munchies like the snack connoisseur she is.