samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

To My Fellow Stressaholics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Dear Stressaholics,

So, the semester is well under way, and you keep making not-so-hot grades. Your bank account is rapidly approaching zero, you have approximately one million meetings and deadlines this week, you keep getting into arguments with your significant other, and to top it all off, no one invites you out anymore. You feel small; you are probably the only person feeling this way right now, right? You just feel lost. Well, take a deep breath and keep reading, because here are 5 things to remember when the world seems to be over.

1.     You are not alone.

You know how every five minutes you look on Instagram and you see everyone having more fun than you? The truth is, it’s all perception. You see, one day I was feeling the exact same way. I was at Starbucks when I ran into an old friend who I hadn’t seen since the start of the fall semester. We had had such a fun time that summer, and by the looks of social media, the party was still going strong for her. Yet, when I mentioned my complete lack of a social life due to my workload, she just laughed and empathized with me, explaining how school had taken over her life as well. She asked if we could hang out and do work together sometime. Although it was a small thing, it felt so nice to know that I wasn’t suffering alone. So, next time you feel like you’re the only one feeling alone and boring, try reaching out, you never know what might happen.

2.     The world isn’t over (surprise!).

So, you made a grade that made you really upset on that project that “everyone” made an A on? So you almost have no money left in your checking account? So you have almost a million meetings and deadline this week? So what? The truth is, the world isn’t over, and it’s never going to be, even when things seem to be at their worst. Although it seems kind of corny, the sun will in fact come out tomorrow, which means you better get to work gurl! Seriously, life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. Don’t let life get you down, get back up and be boss.

3.     Take a moment for yourself.

Sometimes when you’re really stressed out, you just need someone to take care of you. Who better to do that than you? Go out and buy those shoes you’ve been eyeing for days, or take that little day trip you’ve always wanted to do. Dress up and have a photo shoot around town, and make sure to get some ice cream and cookies on the way, because life is too short to forget to stop and smell the roses once in awhile. Sometimes, a small break from reality is all we really need.

4.     Remember others who have experienced failure.

You know, before Walt Disney went on to create Disney World, he was a columnist for a newspaper. The editor fired Walt for not being creative enough, but did he listen? No, Walt went on to imagine Mickey Mouse and build an entire world of imagination around him. Because of Disney, we have Disney World, the happiest place on earth! Imagine, though, what would have happened if Walt had listened to his editor. None of that would have been created at all. In the face of challenge, you have to listen to the voice that speaks inside of you.

5.     Remember who loves you.

Whenever I get to feeling stressed or upset, I often find it helps to remember the ones who love you unconditionally. As a perpetual mama’s boy, I always think of my mother. She would tell me to dry my crocodile tears, get up, dust myself off, and try again. Knowing that someone will always be there for you is such a wonderful feeling that it never fails to calm me down. In trying to be a totally independent collegiette, it can be hard to remember that you need support too, we all do. Never be ashamed to take refuge in loved ones, they will always get you back on track to the path of greatness.

There you have it, as long as you keep these five things in mind (even when facing the end of the world), you will be just fine. The world isn’t over, you aren’t alone, take a deep breath, and give yourself a hug. The world can be a stressful place, my stressaholics, but you can handle it.

Keep rockin’- Your Fellow Stressaholic 

Scott Harvin is a sophomore Communications major with a minor in International Studies in the Honors College at the College of Charleston. Originating from Sumter, South Carolina, he is thrilled to be able to call the wonderful city of Charleston his new home, where he cannot wait to watch the next three years of his life unfold. Other than his academic career at the College, Scott is also a tour guide for Charleston 40, a member of the Student Ambassador Program, a News Contributor for CisternYard News, and the PR and Marketing Assistant for Charleston Fashion Week. All of this can only mean two things: first, he knows pretty much anything anyone could ever want to know about the College and second, he never sleeps. Despite this, he still finds time to explore his passions for music, photography, and adventure, collecting vinyl records while traveling the south-east with close companions to root out the best experiences, restaurants, and events the world has to offer. He does all of this while pursuing his ultimate dream: becoming a journalist for a major news branch, preferably in New York, where he hopes to live out the American Dream. “You may call him a dreamer, but he’s not the only one.”