This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

It was early 2017, maybe late 2018, when I first heard about the conspiracy surrounding Avril Lavigne. If you haven’t heard about this before, then buckle in. It’s been a few years, but I still think about this more than I probably should. 

The theory starts early in Lavigne’s career, claiming that she didn’t take well to her newfound fame and hired a double to take her place in the spotlight. From there, fans are convinced that Avril Lavigne took her own life and was replaced with the lookalike, named Melissa Vandella. Now the “proof” to support this theory could be just a coincidence, but I think it’s more than just that.

You see, there are major facial feature differences between Avril and Melissa, and if you look at pictures of both of them, you can see that Avril’s typical look was changed around 2003, and she looked more like Melissa. Her moles and birthmarks have disappeared, and even her ears look different now. Avril’s voice has also gotten higher over the years, which is unheard of for a grown adult to accomplish. Fans also seem to think that her songs point to her spiraling mental health issues, which caused her to take her own life. One example is from her song “My Happy Ending,” with these lyrics being the most prominent: “All this time you were pretending… So much for my happy ending.” Another example from “Nobody’s Home” with these lyrics: “She wants to go home, but nobody’s home. That’s where she lies, broken inside with no place to go”. After this album, her music changes drastically to more happy, upbeat tunes. Could it be that she got happier, or that Melissa took her fame instead? 

Avril Lavigne did respond to the theory in 2018, saying that it was dumb and weird, and that she didn’t understand why people were saying that. But if it really was true, it’s not like they would admit to it now. Of course, I have no idea if it is actually true or not, and probably never will. But I wouldn’t be surprised if it turned out to be the truth.

Becca is currently a junior at the College of Charleston pursuing her B.A in Communication.