This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

During my freshman year, I dreamt of being a sophomore if only to have my own kitchen. I was tired of making ramen, microwavable mac and cheese, and the occasional frozen burrito whenever I’d had enough of the dining hall food. And now here I am a sophomore with her own tiny, but well-equipped kitchen. For the rest of you who are blessed with a real stovetop and oven, let me share with you my favorite recipes that are so easy, you’ll be able to make them even when you’re hungover.

Avocado Toast (Feeling Up to a Challenge? Add an egg!)

Avocado toast! My ride or die. Have a toaster? Pop your bread of choice in there, get your avocado ready to mash, and do not forget your Everything But The Bagel seasoning from TJ’s. Wait, what’s that? You don’t have a toaster? All good. Preheat that oven and you’re cruisin’. If you want some extra protein or another element to this awesome meal, cook up an egg and slide it on your toast. Personally, I love a good fried egg, but that’s just a personal preference. Go crazy, my reader, go crazy.

Roasted Veggies

Okay, okay, I guess this isn’t a full meal but it’s a great addition to any lunch or dinner! I recommend drizzling some olive oil (or avocado oil) on top and seasoning however you like — you can never go wrong with a bit of salt and pepper, though. Bonus tip: are you super broke like me? Don’t have a pan to put in the oven? Me neither! Grab some tin foil and put your third-grade art skills to the test by making a little tin foil tray (triple fold that ish). Cook at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes. You’re welcome. 

Chicken and Pasta

Before you call me basic, just hear me out. Grab some pre-cooked grilled chicken (from Trader Joe’s of course) and fry it up on your very luxurious stovetop. Add some tomato sauce, or any sauce you fancy, and season to your heart’s content. Or don’t. Whatever you’re feeling. Next, boil your pasta water and add your preferred shape (personally, I’m a penne girl). Once you got your pasta all cooked, pour half a cup of the pasta water into the pan of chicken. Yup, you heard me right. Drain the rest of the water and then add the pasta to your watery chicken sauce. This added pasta water creates an emulsion effect that actually thickens the consistency of your sauce. Let the pasta noodles and chicken soak in the sauce for a couple of minutes, keeping your stovetop heat on low. Boom, now you have a great dinner that isn’t microwaved or neon yellow. Congrats!

Well, that’s all I got for you today. Just think about how many freshman students envy you. Good luck, chef.

Julia is from Westchester, NY and is a senior majoring in Exercise Science & Kinesiology. When she's not writing or studying anatomy, she loves hanging out with her dog, Molly, and watching New Girl on repeat.