This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Southern Living describes them as “Delights from the Delta” but they are colloquially called Mississippi Mud Cookies or S’mores Cookies. The original Mississippi mud cake is thought to have been created by World War II-era cooks who found a way to use available ingredients to make a dense chocolate cake. I first discovered these gems in one of Mom’s cookbooks and decided to give them a try. I can honestly say that they are the best cookies I’ve ever had! The recipe below in my own, though it is inspired by the original one in Southern Living, and includes tips that I’ve discovered in the making of these delicious cookies!

Mississippi Mud Cookies

Source: https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/mississippi-mud-cookies

Prep: 1 hour (includes 30 minutes of chilling the dough)

Cook: ~12 minutes per batch

Makes: 3 dozen

Ingredients:

1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels

½ cup butter, softened

1 cup sugar

2 large eggs

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour

1 tsp. salt

½ cup milk chocolate morsels

1 cup miniature marshmallows

Directions:

1. Microwave the semisweet morsels in a small microwave-safe glass bowl on High 1 minute or until smooth, stirring every 30 seconds.
  2. Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
  3. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
  4. Beat in vanilla and melted chocolate.
  5. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture, beating until well-blended.
  6. Stir in ½ cup milk chocolate morsels.
  7. Place dough in the fridge to cool for about 30 minutes (this makes the dough easier to drop onto the pan!)
  8. Drop dough onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
  9. Press 3 marshmallows into each portion of dough.
  10. Bake at 350°F for 10 to 12 minutes or until set. Remove cookies to cool completely.

These cookies pair really well with vanilla ice cream but can also be paired with a good wine. I suggest a smooth Merlot or a sweet Moscato whose fresh and delicate bubbles balance the sweetness.

Source: Southern Living Best Loved Cookies: 50 Melt-in-Your-Mouth Southern Morsels (2008) by Southern Living

For someone who enjoys chronic napping, Katie Crane still manages to stay busy between two part-time jobs, 18 credit hours, and majoring in both History and Anthropology at the College of Charleston. When she's not doing any of that, you can probably find her shopping at the local farmer's market, playing Overwatch, or coping with the stress of college life by watching Buzzfeed Unsolved.