This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

October is finally among us and there is a lot to look forward to this Halloween: carving pumpkins, corn mazes, haunted houses, candy corn (don’t fight me, it’s delicious), and the occasional scary movie. However, if you’re also looking for ways to become more involved on campus this month and want to learn a little more about the Charleston community, you should consider some LGBTQ+ events that CofC will be hosting.

As you know – or maybe you don’t know – October is LGBTQ+ History Month and there is a lot to learn, whether you identify as LGBTQ+ or just as an ally. Though Charleston prides (pun alert) itself on its inclusiveness as a safe place for the Gay community, the reality is that it is not all sunshine and rainbows. Young Americans that identify as LGBTQ+ continue to face acts of discrimination every day, and our history – though extensive – is threatened with censorship from even our own education.

Now is the time to step up, even if you don’t believe this issue directly affects you.

Of course, Charleston just held its annual Gay Pride Parade, but there are other ways to foster a sense of community on campus. Organizations, such as The Sustainability Literacy Institute (SLI), have made vast strides in improving CofC students’ understanding of social justice issues on campus. Part of this effort includes hosting events meant to educate and offer a safe place for marginalized groups to meet outside of the classroom.

One of these upcoming events is the Being Me at CofC event. They, along with the Women and Sexuality Equity Center, Office of Institutional Diversity, and Special Collections will be hosting an event on October 2nd to help promote the LGBTQ Celebration Week at CofC.

There will be a “Being Me and Being Queer at CofC” panel event after a brief introduction to the SLI’s involvement, a reflection of Queer history on campus, and several guest speakers. After this, students will have a chance to mingle with each other and visit several visiting religious, secular, and non-profit organizations. Of course, there will also be light refreshments provided (if you needed another reason to go).

This event is meant to help connect young people – both returning and new students – with the organizations, mentors, and resources needed to support them through their college education. In addition, allies and non-identifying individuals are encouraged to attend so that they can educate themselves on prevalent issues that continue to impact our school’s students and to show their support for the LGBTQ+ community. 

It will be held at the Education Center building from 5:30 PM to roughly 7:00 PM, and students are welcome to bring any tagalongs, friends, or family.

Being young and without a group of people to call your own is difficult and can affect your entire identity. If you’re someone who is struggling with their sexuality or gender identity but doesn’t feel comfortable coming out just yet, it’s still important to know that you’re not alone and there are people on campus that want to love and support you. I personally hope to meet a lot of people at this event, and genuinely believe CofC is one step closer to a more safe and inclusive environment for LGBTQ+ students.  

Savannah is a current Junior at the College of Charleston and is double majoring in both Communications/Mass Media and English. She focuses mainly on creative writing, specifically writing screenplays for films and short videos, but is also very passionate about social issues and the influence that media can have on these issues. She hopes to go on and become either a novelist or a film writer, mainly so that she can have a justified reason for watching movies all the time.