Kosher, Vegan and Vegetarian? Get All Three at Marty’s Place!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Where can CofC students get kosher, vegan or vegetarian food on campus? At Marty’s Place of course! The Dr. Martin Perlmutter Dining Hall, aka Marty’s Place, is dedicated to Martin (Marty) Perlmutter, the Director of the Yaschik/Arnold Jewish Studies Program. The dining hall opened last January and since it’s opening has been a huge succes with students, faculty and the Charleston community. This fall the facility is featuring a new menu that includes old favorites such as the Napoleon Burger and exciting new flavors such as General Tso’s Cauliflower. The menu also added local flavors such as King Street Cookies as well as homemade treats. The new menu is shown below:

Marty’s Place is my go to dining hall becuase really it’s the only dining hall where I feel like I can get fresh, healthy and delicious food. I find myself going there almost every day whether it be for lunch or dinner and sometimes for both! After waiting in long lines every day to order my food, I decided to ask the kitchen manager why she thought Marty’s Place was so popular and why she thinks students always come back. Her answer didn’t surprise me: students feel comfortable with the fact that virtually every food prepared in the kitchen is made from scratch. Yes, that means even the pita and that irresistable hummus are made right there. Because the food is made fresh daily and it’s vegetarian, vegan or kosher, I feel like I’m eating very healthy. Sure, I think that I couldn’t live without meat, but now I’m eating veggies that I would never have eaten on my own. Eating here forces me to eat my vegetables and greens and I actually enjoy it. 

Another reason why I love Marty’s Place is because it’s so allergy friendly. I have a dairy allergy and often times I’ll eat something that doesn’t seem like it has dairy when it actually does. Marty’s Place is not only vegan, vegetarian and kosher but also allergy safe because you can ask for certain meals that are allergy friendly. I know what I’m eating and the kitchen staff really puts the time and effort to make sure what I wanted is exactly what I wanted. Everyone in the kitchen is nice and friendly as well, ensureing students are having the best experience possible. 

Marty’s Place is a great area to hang out with friends or talk to people in the Charleston community. Not only will you get amazing food, but you’ll leave knowing you had a healthy and well-balanced meal as well as an awesome experience! And btw, gives you foods that you normally wouldn’t eat a chance.

You won’t regret it.

Allie Stern

C of C '19

Allie is a young public health professional, Guns N Roses enthusiast, cannabis educator, and Home Goods #1 customer. She is an up-and-coming entrepreneur who is passionate about women's empowerment and leadership. When she's not planning out her future on her white board, she can be found playing video games or watching Marvel movies with her boyfriend Amal.