This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

The last two weeks I have felt so burned out from school, work, and my social life. A big factor causing all of this is definitely the amount of school work given to me with no days off. I have been sleeping all day, procrastinating more than normal, and barely taking care of myself. I don’t like myself and I don’t know what to do.

Since the pandemic, many colleges and universities have had limited breaks for students. During the normal school year, I would have the weekends, spring break, holidays off, etc to relax. Now, I don’t have that. Because of this, I have not created the breaks I need for myself. Trying to create these breaks is hard. I’m already so behind in school and work that I feel as though I cannot take any breaks. I push myself so much to try to complete everything that I end up using all my energy. Instead of creating an actual break I either procrastinate or sleep. It doesn’t make sense to me. Yes, sleeping can be considered a break, but when you start sleeping so much you miss half the day, it’s not a break anymore. This is what I consider to be burned out. 

Being burned out is so many things, but to me it’s annoying. It’s annoying because I’m trying to stay put together and act as though I’m okay. It’s annoying because teachers don’t understand. It’s not like I want to submit things late or do badly on tests. I just mentally can’t do it without having either a breakdown or giving up. It’s annoying because the thought of being productive makes my stomach turn. It’s annoying because I feel as though I should have the motivation to do things but I don’t. 

Being burned out is nobody’s fault. It’s just something that happens to the best of us and I will get through it. I’ve learned I can’t blame myself for it or it will only get worse. I just have to push through it and know there’s always going to be a tomorrow. In life, there are highs and lows. The lows teach us to appreciate the highs and the highs teach us that there’s hope in the lows. In conclusion, if you’re burned out like me, just know you’re not alone and that you will make it through this rough patch. You are beautiful, you are loved, and you are strong. 

Adi Sweet

C of C '23

Hey y'all, my name is Adi Sweet and I am a sophomore at the College of Charleston. I am originally from Charlotte, North Carolina where I was a worship leader, worked at TopGolf and loved to hangout with friends and family. At the College, I am a Young life leader, in greek life and am studying in Business Administration with a concentration in finance. I am so excited to spread my creativity, tips and thoughts to this amazing girl gang! Hope you enjoy!