Style > Decor

How to Design Your Chic but Functional Studio Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Do you have a studio apartment or want to move into one? Are you looking at Pinterest for interior design ideas? Well, we were in the same boat. Then, I actually moved into my apartment and realized I need to make my tiny studio apartment much more functional! 

Depending on the size of your studio, you may have flexibility with how functional you need to be, but mine is 400 square feet, so I needed to be smart about every piece of furniture. The first question you need to ask yourself is, do you want a living room separate from your bedroom? If no, then your bed size does not matter because that is your focal point. If yes, then you cannot have any size bed that is larger than a queen-size bed! Just take my word for it.

Yasmine Boheas
Yasmine Boheas / Unsplash

If you answered yes to my above question, then let’s talk loveseats. A couch is just not realistic in a 400 square foot apartment. In a larger studio, go get that couch! However, most are really tiny, so a loveseat is much more realistic and affordable. I would say that my loveseat is actually the main focal point in my studio apartment. It is definitely my favorite piece! How could someone not love a light pink velvet loveseat? 

Do you have an outdoor area? If you do, that is fabulous because it is an extension of your apartment. Thankfully, I do have a large porch, which is where I spend a lot of my time. I wanted to have a little reading nook in my apartment, so I opted out of a dining table. Instead, I purchased outdoor furniture, so I eat dinner outside most nights! If you don’t have an outdoor area, no worries! I would just get a tiny dining table and skip the reading nook. 

Unsplash

Storage in a studio apartment just does not exist. This forces you to get creative and get rid of unnecessary things. My closet is inside my bathroom and as you can expect – very small. I had to downsize in clothing by half, but honestly, it felt really good. Most of my clothes I got rid of I had held onto since seventh grade. Clearly, it was time. 

My last, most important piece of advice is, get a bed frame with storage or a fourteen-inch platform bed frame. This literally saved my life. Alright, that might be a little dramatic, but seriously, you need this in a studio apartment! This is my only form of storage and it works great! I can keep my suitcases, winter clothes, and random things all under my bed. 

Turned On Silver Macbook On White Bed
Daria Shevtsova / Pexels

I hope you learned to get a one-bedroom apartment from this blog post. Totally kidding! I absolutely love my studio apartment! If there’s just one person living there, that is really all the space you need. Also, my kitchen is five steps away from my bed. Snacks all day long. 

Hey, my name is Molly! I am a Senior at the College of Charleston and am majoring in English. I am from Saratoga Springs, NY, but absolutely love the warm weather here! I spend most of my time nannying or reading Betches.