This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

It’s the time of year where we’ve all been mega stressed out and need something to help us get away from it all. Well, I’ve got the playlist for you to help take the edge off and tackle midterms without sacrificing your mental health. I hope a few of these uplifting songs help to transport you from that dorm or library cubicle to a peaceful place where you can let your hair down, even if for just a moment.

Passing Time – Heffron Drive

This song really has the energy of a Sunday drive to the beach with your closest loved ones. It creates an atmosphere of nostalgia that can only be captured by distinct homophonic melodies over a gentle instrumental track. For you 2000 babies, it creates nostalgia featuring Kendall Schmidt and Logan Henderson from Big Time Rush, but don’t let that curb you because I genuinely enjoy this for walks around Charleston. This song is very easy listening, perfect for a peaceful afternoon of self-reflection and de-stressing.

Caroline – Animal Years

Now this song I found while making a playlist for my friend, Caroline’s birthday. I put it on the playlist for obvious reasons but after listening to it I genuinely fell in love with the upbeat and kind of folksy sound. This is one of those songs that makes you pick yourself up when you’re down and dance around your apartment, it’s one that I always scream the chorus from the top of my lungs (when no one else is home, of course). 

Moving Forward – Colony House

Anything from Colony House could go on this playlist because a good crop of them has the same uplifting message of not letting the past or negativities get you down. I yell this song when I’m in my feelings because it motivates the listener to help themselves and find a reason to continue on under an indie instrumental track. After listening to this song, I want to sit in a large oak tree, with the sun shining down on a Sunday afternoon just before the sun starts to set. Musically the song gradually becomes more complex as it goes on by changing keys and layering instrumentals and vocals. 

Underwater – Samantha Gaton

This artist is from Columbia, SC studying International Studies and Sustainability at the College of Charleston! This song describes the weight being lifted off your chest after removing toxic people from your life. I tend to bop to this song a good bit when I’m feeling down as motivation to get back on my grind. This song has a very acoustic sound making for easy listening that I’ve found is very good for de-stressing. Though this song is effortless listening, it has profound lyrical content, making it the perfect song for after you get out of a toxic relationship and/or friendship. 

North Carolina – Little Chief

If you couldn’t tell already, I love folk sounding music because, in my mind, at least they have a specific ability to mellow you out. This song is no exception as the gentle melody transports you to the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina. Reminds me of simpler times where you would go on long drives through the mountains staring out the window at miles and miles of forest, spotting faint peaks in the distance. It captures rural North Carolina by using simple melodies that almost reflect a country song creating nostalgia, making me sentimental of childhood memories. 

For more of these tunes, check out this playlist

Howdy! My name is Julia Brown, and I’m a senior studying Elementary Education with minors in Music and Sociology. In my free time, I like to listen to music, drink lots of coffee, and spot dogs on the street. I enjoy writing advice articles, music and movie reviews, and ways to make the most of your time on campus!