This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Whether you’re a broke college student or rolling around in money, we all know finding fun things to do can be hard. Luckily, there are so many ways to have fun during the summer regardless of matter how much money you have. 

If you don’t want to spend any money:

• You can go do something adventurous like camping or going to the beach. 

The best part about these is that you have options once you start them. You can go fishing, stargazing, catch fireflies, have a picnic, or watch the sunset if you decide to go camping. If you decide to go to the beach, you can collect seashells or shark’s teeth, build a sandcastle, swim, or tan. As a native South Carolinian, I like going to Folly Beach because it’s close to campus. 

• If you wanted to do something a little more lowkey, my personal choice is catching a couple more z’s because a girl is LAZY. That’s why sleeping is the most versatile of all the activities, If you’re like me, you can sleep almost anywhere (especially in class) and once you’re asleep you can dream about basically anything.

Now say you’ve picked up a summer job or internship so now you have a little extra money:  

• You still want to go on an adventure so you could go to a water park, bowling, or skating. 
  • If you want something more local to Charleston, you could go out to one of the lounges or a local event like the Saturday farmer’s market or monthly Second Sunday. There’s always so many cool things to do on the peninsula and the events are always changing. You could also try out some local restaurants. My personal favorites are Taco Boy, Hymans, Maui Taco, and Juanita Greenberg’s Nacho Royale. If you couldn’t tell, I’m obsessed with Mexican food. There are also a ton of dessert and coffee places, like King Street Cookies and Kudu Coffee. I love going to both of those to either start my day with a morning coffee or a sweet treat after a rough one.
Zelda Proveaux is a freshman at the College of Charleston. She is majoring in Communications and wants to have a career in digital marketing. In her free time, Zelda enjoys listening to music and being around animals, especially cute pups!