8 Things All Women Should Hear Today

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Positive affirmations are key to living a positive life.  These can come from your friends or family, but in reality they really need to come from ourselves.  This act of self love can significantly increase one’s happiness with their life and according to Psychology Today: “When we act in ways that expand self-love in us, we begin to accept much better our weaknesses as well as our strengths, have less need to explain away our short-comings, have compassion for ourselves as human beings struggling to find personal meaning, are more centered in our life purpose and values, and expect living fulfillment through our own efforts.”

Once we begin to love ourselves anything is possible.  Here are some positive messages that all women should hear, especially if their path to self love has hit a bump in the road.

1. “You are enough.”

Not only do you define what enough is but you are enough for every situation and every person you encounter.  If someone makes you feel otherwise, then they do not deserve to be a part of your life.  

2. “You are worth it.”

You are not perfect but you are worth it to spend time with and learn about.  You are worth the time and effort it may take to build a relationship with.  You are worth taking the time to get to know.  And, above all, you are worth more than the clothes on your back or the shoes on your feet.  You are worth your weight in gold.

3. “You are more than your failures and weaknesses.”

We all fail.  We all have things we are not good at.  We all have times when we feel like we cannot go on.  And we’re so much more than those.  We’re more than our failures and weaknesses, we’re more than our faults and our flaws.  You are more than all of those because your strengths, weaknesses, flaws and accomplishments make you the person you are today.  And that is amazing.  

4. “You can accomplish everything.”

Anything you set your mind to, you can do.  Whether that’s striving to reach your dream job or trying to climb a mountain, you can do it.  All you have to do is think positively and work hard.  You can do anything and everything and it all starts with your thinking.  

5. “You are anything but inadequate.”

As Eleanor Roosevelt once said, “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”  That is true.  Only you define your worth and you are anything but inferior or inadequate.  You are able and accomplished.  You are determined and strong.  And you define what you are.  Don’t let anyone else try to decide that for you.

6. “You are learning everyday.  Every experience is a learning experience.”

Every bad grade, bad date or deteriorated friendship is a learning experience.  You learn how to move on, how to grow and how to succeed from there.  Treat all the good and bad experiences you face as a place for you to learn and grow rather than look back on and regret.

7. “You are an amazing human, inside and out.”

Your skin is beautiful.  Your body is beautiful.  Your eyes are beautiful.  And your smile is beautiful.  Your kindness is beautiful.  Your intelligence is beautiful.  Your accomplishments are beautiful.  You are beautiful inside and out.  You are an amazing human.  Tell yourself that every day.  

8. “Even on your darkest days, remember that it gets better.”

Everything happens for a reason.  They’re learning experiences and moments you can go from.  Whether you’re dealing with a bad grade or are depressed, remember that it does get better.  Every situation gets better.  And, for yourself, you must remember this.  Always.

Being positive can be hard sometimes, especially when life gets tough.  But in order to love ourselves and be the best version of ourself, we have to.  Take these words to heart and say them everyday.  Look in the mirror and think or say your mantra or write it down in your notebook.  Show yourself that you love yourself.  

Your self love starts with you.  Remember that.  HCXO

Born and raised in the northernmost state, Alaska, Marissa flew south to College of Charleston for a little more sun and a little more heat.  She believes a good life involves coffee, puppies, and more coffee and free time is her favorite thing not to have.