This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Rupi Kaur is an Indian-born Canadian poet, writer, and illustrator. You might recognize her name from her debut book, “Milk and Honey”. She has since captured the hearts and minds of mainstream media with her prose verses on love, sex, and race. She is known for having the strongest impact with the simplest of words written with grace and fluidity. 

Here’s a compiled list of some of my favorite Rupi Kaur quotes that helped remind me of my resilience just when I needed it the most. 

For when you’re missing someone who isn’t there anymore:

• “Loneliness is a sign you are in desperate need of yourself” Milk and Honey

For when you feel like you can’t catch a break:

• “If you were born with the weakness to fall you were born with the strength to rise” Milk and Honey

For when you need a little self-love:

• “How you love yourself is how you teach others to love you” Milk and Honey

For when you need the motivation to keep going:

• “The world gives you so much pain and here you are making gold out of it – there is nothing purer than that” Milk and Honey

For when he said you aren’t enough:

• “What is the greatest lesson a woman should learn – that since day one she’s already had everything she needs within herself it’s the world that convinced her she did not” The Sun and Her Flowers

For when it doesn’t work out:

• “You were a dragon long before he came around and said you could fly  You will remain a dragon long after he’s left” Milk and Honey

For when perfectionism takes over you: 

• “You do not just wake up and become the butterfly – growth is a process” The Sun and Her Flowers
Chynna Chan

C of C '19

International Businesss major and Spanish minor at the College of Charleston. Originally from San Diego, CA. Lover of Hot Cheetos and Mexican street tacos. Meditation advocate. Traveler. Foodie. Interested in saving the world.