Laptop Jeans Ripped Study School
Laptop Jeans Ripped Study School
Jackie Ryan / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

With midterm season upon us, I know we are all feeling the full heat of the semester. From personal experience, having 4 tests in one week is no fun. But it is possible to balance out your workload and create strategies for studying so that you are not always so overwhelmed. Here are some things I have done starting with the beginning of the semester to ensure that I am getting everything done at a good pace and not running around last minute. I hope that at least one of these tips will be useful for you as well!

Have All Your Exam Dates Written Down

No one likes surprise exams, especially when the date has been right in front of you on the syllabus all along. I have been there, and it’s not a good time. So do your future self a favor and have all your classes’ exam dates already written down somewhere. That way, you will know what to expect in advance and will have plenty of time to prepare.

Look Over Material As You Move Through It

This may sound obvious, but it’s very important and can be crucial to your grade in the class. Don’t be that person that crams all the information into your brain the night before the exam. Many studies have shown that looking over the information gradually over time is much more effective on your memory than looking over a giant chunk in one period. After a lecture, look over the material again that was taught that day. I will be the first to admit that I zone out in class, especially if it’s an early morning one. Looking over the information again that day or night will make it easier for your memory to recall it in the future. Then, during the week of the exam, it won’t seem so brand new, so you won’t be as overwhelmed.

Create a Quizlet For Each Class

This has been a very useful tool for me. As soon as you receive new material on the chapter, (preferably after each lecture), while you’re relooking over the info that was taught that day, make yourself a Quizlet of important terms and concepts. Not only will typing it out be beneficial to your memory, but you’ll have easy access to this knowledge at your fingertips that you can glance at whenever you need it.

Rewrite Your Notes

Rewriting information down on paper is scientifically proven to help you better retain information in your brain. This is a good tip especially if you’re someone who takes notes on your laptop in class. When you’re at home, glance at your notes you already took during a lecture, and rewrite them on paper in your own words. This will help you to figure out if you actually get a concept or not and will refresh your memory.

Complete Assignments As Soon As They’re Mentioned

Coming from someone who used to be a chronic procrastinator, this tip has saved me many times this semester. No one likes stressing the night before a paper is due or an assignment you know you’ll have to stay up all night to complete. Save yourself that stress and instead do it ASAP. As soon as the professor mentions it a week or two before its due, or if you have it written in your planner, you’ll already know when to expect it. Get it done! I know prioritizing is a big thing when you’re juggling 4 or 5 classes and looking so far ahead doesn’t always seem practical. But the weeks do come up fast, and having it already completed and off your to-do list will save you so much time and energy in the end.

Get A Study Group Together 

Get the phone numbers of a couple of students in your class and agree to meet up and study before each exam. Looking over terms and rereading notes can get dull when you’re alone doing it for hours. Change it up and study with others. You can quiz each other and maybe even make some good friends! Or even meet up with your friends from other classes, it’s a given that there are some exams they’re stressing over too. So go to the library or a coffee shop and go through it together. There’s something about just sitting with friends, even in silence, it seems to be more comforting than doing it alone.

As a college student, sometimes it can feel like there’s no way around the stressed state of mind many of us experience daily. Especially with midterms in full force, I know the load can get pretty heavy. But I hope my tips help some of you now and in the future for studying and preparing for your classes. The moral of the story is don’t wait last minute for anything. If you gradually learn it and get things done on time, you will realize how much less stress you will be dealing with daily.

Hi, my name is Samantha! I am a senior here at the College of Charleston and am majoring in psychology. My interests include music, beauty, fitness, good food, and the city of Charleston!