6 Reasons You Should Binge Watch Series of Unfortunate Events Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Last month, Netflix released the first 8 episode season of their much-anticipated adaptation of A Series of Unfortunate Events. As someone who read the books as a kid and adored them, I was excited to see how Netflix’s version would turn out. I’m pleased to say that I was very impressed and would definitely recommend the show to anyone, whether you are a fan of the book series or not. Need more convincing? Here are 6 reasons why this new Netflix hit is a must-watch right now.

1. The screenplay was written by Daniel Handler.

Daniel Handley, aka Lemony Snicket himself, not only penned the screenplay, but also wrote the title theme and song lyrics. As the executive producer for the series, he had the final say on all artistic choices made with the show, which made its tone so fitting to the tone of the book series.

2. The show is extremely visually appealing.

Photo courtesy of Netflix.

Netflix did a phenomenal job with creating scenery that matched Snicket’s original descriptions. The world of the Baudelaire orphans is, in their own words, “phantasmagorical.” The ridiculously impossible places come to life in a strange and beautiful way that will fill both lovers of the books and first time SOUE fans with wonder. 

3. The music is fantastic.

The theme at the beginning of every episode is titled “Look Away,” and the lyrics change slightly to describe the premise of each new episode. Along with performances from Count Olaf’s theatre trope and a phenomenal musical number at the end of the season, the lyrics are consistently a well-blended mixture of witty and dark. The songs are sure to be stuck in your head all day long.

4. The casting is spot-on.

Photo courtesy of Netflix.

Fitting nearly every description to a T, the cast of the Netflix series encapsulates each and every character with such careful precision. Additionally, the cast is notably more diverse than the (terrible) movie version of the first three books from 2004. Who wouldn’t love to watch Neil Patrick Harris having the time of his life acting as Count Olaf in his various disguises and schemes?

5. It’s anyone’s guess as to when it takes place.

The show and book series both vaguely hint at taking place in the past (think first half of the 20th century). No one carries a cell phone, telegrams are sent, and the pictures are in black and white. However, in the series there are references to a television repairman and an Uber. The ambiguity about time is definitely intentional and it adds to the mystery that surrounds the story.

6. The dark humor is impossible not to laugh at.

A characteristic of Snicket’s writing is his direct and dark sense of humor. The show retains this perfectly, often in the form of obliviously self-centered adults. For example, at the beginning of the series, the Baudelaire parents are killed in a fire. When the parents first meet their new guardian, Count Olaf, he comments that “[their] mother was a nice woman, very flammable.” This cruel humor is just one example of the entertaining, distinctive world that Lemony Snicket has created.

So what are you waiting for? Head over to Netflix and get binge watching!

I'm a senior English major with a concentration in Creative Writing at CofC originally from Boston. I'm also a member of the Honors College, Literati, and HSA here at the College. I love libraries, Target, and exploring; and I am way too emotionally invested in fictional characters. I'm currently leaving the love of my life (the ocean) behind to study abroad in London for the semester.    
Born and raised in the northernmost state, Alaska, Marissa flew south to College of Charleston for a little more sun and a little more heat.  She believes a good life involves coffee, puppies, and more coffee and free time is her favorite thing not to have.