This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Earlier this year, I got one of the best book recommendations EVER from my dad: a book called “The Five Second Rule,” by the lovely Mel Robbins. I know that when we get busy and are already above our heads in readings for classes, that adding another book to the list can be the last thing we want to do, but I am here to say that this one will change you for the better! 

The book is about Mel Robbins’ simple rule, that will make a big difference, and shows how she came about the rule, shared the rule and how it has impacted people. 

While I HIGHLY recommend reading the entire book (the audiobook is AMAZING too), I want to share with you the basic way the 5-second rule works. 

Here is how Mel describes the rule on her website.

“The 5 Second Rule is simple. If you have the instinct to act on a goal, you must physically move within 5 seconds, or your brain will kill it.

The moment you feel an instinct or a desire to act on a goal or a commitment, use the Rule.

When you feel yourself hesitate before doing something that you know you should do, count 5-4-3-2-1-GO and move towards action.

There is a window that exists between the moment you have an instinct to change and your mind killing it. It’s a 5-second window. And it exists for everyone.

If you do not take action on your instinct to change, you will stay stagnant. You will not change.

But if you do one simple thing, you can prevent your mind from working against you. You can start the momentum before the barrage of thoughts and excuses hit you at full force.

What do you do?

Just start counting backward to yourself: 5-4-3-2-1.

The counting will focus you on the goal or commitment and distract you from the worries, thoughts, and excuses in your mind.

As soon as you reach “1” – push yourself to move.

This is how you push yourself to do the hard stuff – the work that you don’t feel like doing, or you’re scared of doing, or you’re avoiding.

That’s it. 5 seconds is all it takes.”

Give this a shot! It has made a huge difference for me, and it can make one for you! 

Hello! My name is Kate, I am from Dallas, Texas and I will be graduating from CofC in the Spring of 2023. I am an international business major with a Spanish minor and a member of the CofC Sailing Team.