This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Exam time is getting close and we’re at the point of where we are all melting into our work while also wanting to head to the beach with our homies (thanks Charleston for the awesome weather). We question if we should spend time worrying about the loads of work coming up or ignore it until it hits.  We all know that on a perfect Saturday with 80 degree weather we don’t want to spend time studying, so here are some ways to prepare for the madness of the end of the semester and enjoy what’s left of it.  

Bring your work to your happy place.

Photo from Charleston CVB.

You may be thinking that you don’t want to get sand or water on your $500 textbook or have the wind blow away the two questions you spent 3 hours answering, but bringing your work outdoors will help calm you down and give you peace while you enjoy the nice day.  Have some friends tag along and form a group at the park or waterfront to study.  I wouldn’t necessarily take my work down by the actual beach and come back dripping wet all over my homework, but you could set yourself up on the pier or even under it. (Hint: we LOVE the Folly Beach pier.)

Pace yourself.

Again, exams might be the last thing on your mind at the beginning of April, but it’s important to pace yourself.  If you take it easy the whole semester, all hell will break loose at the end.  Take an hour or so each day to look over your material or simply review your notes in between classes.  You’d be surprised the difference it makes instead of waiting until the last minute. 

Breathe.

Photo from Charleston City Paper.

On the other hand, exams seem like they’re so much more than they are.  It’s a test or a project on something you’ve literally sat through all year.  Not only are your classes a whole semester’s worth of material but you have at least four other classes to go with them.  It’s okay to not be okay.  Take time for yourself to breathe when it is time to get going on the madness.  Do whatever makes you happy to relieve your stress, take stretch breaks and breathe! 

Finally, and most importantly…

Remember that “April showers bring May flowers.”

Yes, you will be stressed and it will be hard, but that’s a part of college.  When it’s all over, you’re free and get the break you deserve. 

You can do it.  You are here for a reason and it’s not your fault if it overwhelms you, but it is your choice on how you control that.  Good luck leading up to finals and enjoy the spring weather in Charleston while you can.