Earlier this week College of Charleston and the surrounding Charleston area was evacuated due to the impending weather from Hurricane Matthew. Many packed up their things and headed inland to cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Clemson and Columbia. However, they may tell you what to do in a hurricane but they don’t tell you how many crazy things go through your head.
1. We’re being evacuated?!
2. What do I pack?
3. Do I bring all my food?
4. What do you wear in a hurricane?
5. I want my mom.
6. I don’t want to be an adult.
7. What is going to happen to my apartment?
8. I have renters insurance, right?
9. Why is everyone leaving at the exact same time?
10. I hate traffic with a burning passion.
11. Every gas station is out of gas.
12. Every store is out of bread and snacks.
13. STARBUCKS IS CLOSED.
14. I hope all my friends made it out safely.
15. When do we have to go back to school?
16. Did we buy enough alcohol?
17. How do you make a “hurricane”?
18. “Yes, Mom, I’m fine.”
19. *for the 15th time* “Yes, Mom, I’m really fine.”
20. *watches videos of flooding* MY CITY.
21. Really though, I hope my apartment is okay…
22. I hope everyone actually left…
23. I’m scared.
24. My city will be fine, my city will be fine, my city will be fine.
25. *jokingly* WE WILL REBUILD…
26. I’m just hoping we don’t have to.
27. It will all be okay…
28. I’m safe, and I’m so happy for that.
We made it Charleston. The storm has passed and we will move forward from here. Stay safe, collegiettes.