neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Tips For Moving into Your First Adult Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

After moving 7 times (4 times in boarding school, 3 times in college), take it from someone who has become an experct in packing up and moving to a new place. So, if you’re in a bind and the end of your lease is staring you in the face, have no fear. Here are 10 professional moving tips;

1. Organize, Organize, Organize

This can be the hardest part of moving. Every person has a different way of doing this, but try to organize by season for clothes, and then by room of the house. If you are organized it will be a quick unpacking job.

2. Declutter 

While organizing, try to sort out clothes, or items you no longer use. A good general rule of thumb is: if you haven’t worn it or used it in 6 months you probably will not miss it.

3. Start Early

The earlier you start the organization process, the easier it will be. This will also provide you with plenty of cushion so you are not attempting to pack everything while also taking exams. 

4. Pack the Things You’ll Need First, Last

Think about what you will need first in your new apartment. Fresh, seasonally appropriate clothes, toiletries, your cat, etc. A suggestion is to pack an overnight bag, or a suitcase, for those first few days in the new apartment. 

5. Plastic Bins & Duct Tape Are Your Friends

You can not have enough of both of these. A single plastic bin can sometimes store almost all of a room. Caution; plastic bins can become heavier than the appear. Try to pack heavy stuff in the bottom of them, and then pack lighter things on top. This is also where the duct tape can come in handy. If you wrap duct tape around a plastic bin, after it’s packed, the lids will not pop off. 

6. Prepare Your Electronics

Take pictures of the back and front of your tv and other electronic setups before moving. Then you will not have to play a guessing game while trying to set up your DVD player in your new apartment.

7. Clean Out Your Refridgerator

Try not to buy anything newe for two weeks before you move. It becomes a little game attempting to put together meals from what you have. Don’t open non-perishable food, this can be stored or set aside until you move into your new place.

8. Enslave Enlist Friends

Have pizza prepared, and plenty of beer in the fridge to pay them back. If you can not find friends there is usually a campus moving servies that is pretty cheap and easy to use.

9. Have All the Basic Necessities For Your First Night

You do not want to have to make a toilet paper run at 2 am after spending the whole day unpacking. This is also particularly embarassing if you happen to already be in your comfy pajamas and bunny slippers. 

10. Unpack a Little Everyday

Don’t try to unpack everything in a day, limit yourself to two boxes, or a room. Concentrate on making it feel like home, rather than unpacking it. 

Good Luck! Don’t forget anything in your old apartment!