jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

So here’s the thing: I’m on my phone a lot. Like a lot. The new iOS update where it tells you how much time you’ve spent on your phone throughout the week is not my friend. Okay, so I’m probably not on my phone much more than any other person my age, but I still feel like it’s an issue.

My feelings on this started back in May when I was in Denmark. Danes aren’t on their phones as much as we Americans tend to be, something that we discussed in depth in my communications class I took while abroad. Standing in the metro or walking down the street, I never saw many phones out, they were always tucked away to be used when needed rather than to just scroll through Instagram.

Luckily for me, I didn’t want to pay for a phone plan while abroad and could only text or use social media while I was connected to WiFi back in my apartment. This led me to see how often I pull out my phone when I’m waiting around or heading to class. But in Denmark, the only thing I could do was play a word search game to pass the time. Just one app to occupy me when I was out and about. So I lived a little disconnected (also probably due to the time change but that’s not the point).

Coming back to the states I was back on my phone again like I hadn’t even had a meaningful realization while abroad. So here I am, halfway through the semester binging TV shows and spending time on different accounts as I wait for class to start, as I fall asleep, or even as I’m doing something on my computer.

I had a small breakthrough this week when I decided to read one of the books I had brought from home and then promptly set them to the side to be ignored for two months. I had a really good time reading, though. It definitely wasn’t the best book I’ve read, but I enjoyed diving into the plot. I was so focused on the story I wasn’t even checking my phone between chapters.

So here’s the other thing: I have a goal. I’m not going to stop using my phone for a week or delete all of my social media, that just won’t work. Making a change takes time and it happens in steps. So my goal is to use my phone for at least an hour and a half less than my average.

I’m going to bring more books home with me and try to read more this week. I’m also going to take the time to work on things that I’ve been avoiding. And, hopefully, I’ll also feel less distracted while I study for exams.

Tune in next week to see how well I do!  

My name is Julia, and I am a junior from Kentwood, MI double majoring in Advertising and Psychology. My other involvements include Study Abroad Ambassadors, Campus Ambassadors, and the Honors Program. I'm excited to expand my skills while working with Her Campus, and I'm hopeful that this chapter will bring a lot of enjoyment to students at CMU. I am so excited to continue as the Advertising Chair for this chapter!