nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Tips to Excel in Your Personal and Professional Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

We all know that some days are better than others, as well as some weeks. Despite being tired, under the weather, and stressed with projects, I’ve had a very empowered week. I did not expect it with the ever-looming mountains of homework I had to conquer, but my classes and extracurricular organizations provided me with motivating and success-driven advice.

Today I want to share my take-aways with you. I want you to be able to self-reflect, grow, and learn about yourself to better yourself. These tips are inspired by an article my journalism professor shared with us and the founder and chief growth officer of A. Victoria Mae, Ashleigh Laabs, who spoke at a Public Relations Student Society of America meeting this week.

1. Who in your life is holding you back or wishing you would fail? Why are they still in your life?

2. What’s your next “big” step in life to further your career? Can you do it sooner?

3. What are your core values? Are you living your life in a way that portrays these values?

4. Money means nothing if you are not happy and are not living up to your values.

5. Make friends with the person in the mirror. At the end of the day, you need to be your biggest fan and support system.

6. Feed yourself with positive words and thoughts; you deserve it.

7. How long do you beat yourself up over mistakes? Take 24 hours and cry, move on, and then better yourself through learning from failure.

8. What steps are you taking daily to make your dreams a reality?

9. Identify the fears you have and stop letting them keep you “stuck”.

10. If you’re unhappy, identify the problem and change it.

11. Don’t fear change–you are in this galaxy, country, state, and city at this exact millisecond for a reason. This holds true for the future as well.

12. Work hard, but don’t be scared to prioritize family and friends.

13. Think about the impact you would like to leave in your community and this world.

14. What does success mean to you?

15. What is your plan to achieve your definition of success?

My name is Cassie Malhado and I’m a sophomore at Central Michigan University. Raised in the small town of Imlay City, coming to university has allowed me to expand my comfort zone. Currently, I am studying Journalism: Public Relations Concentration with a minor in Applied Business Communication to do public relations work for a non-profit or corporation after graduation. On campus I am a member of the Honors Program, am a public relations executive for Central Michigan Life, run the social media and belong to the editorial board for the academic journal The Honors Platform, and am a sister of the Delta Zeta chapter of Alpha Chi Omega. I am excited to add events planner for Her Campus on my list of involvements as well! My passions include politics, traveling, and rollerblading with Her Campus Editor-in-Chief, Kara, which I cannot wait to write more about.