How to Keep Your Hair and Skin Healthy This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

As summer is right around the corner, most of us can’t want to finally get a tan after the long treacherous winter. Something that we need to make sure we keep in mind is keeping your skin and hair healthy! We love the sun, but it can do serious damage to your skin and hair if you are not careful. We put together some solutions to avoid the sun giving you anything but a beautiful summer glow!

Hair:

Conditioner:

Sun exposure can leave your hair dry with very little moisture. During the summer your conditioner should be your best friend! This is an easy way to restore your hairs shine after a long day in the sun. Making sure you use conditioner should also prevent brittle split ends. Chlorine can also be harsh on your hair, especially if your hair is colored. By limiting your hair to chlorine and making it a point to use conditioner to get that moisture back, your hair will stay true to its color while keeping its moisture.

Hats:

Not only can hats be super cute accessories for when you’re by the pool or at the beach, they can also protect your hair and scalp from the hot sun. There are many hat styles that are both cute and can block your hair from harsh rays. Fedoras, straw floppy hats or baseball hats to just name a few! Your hair will be sure to keep moisturized and healthy when blocking out those rays and heat.

Avoid hair dryers:

Summer is full of heat already so if you are able to avoid blow-drying your hair after a shower, avoid it! Having your hair be able to air dry will restore moisture and is always a healthier option, especially after spending a day in the sun.

Skin:

Protection:

I’m sure some of us are sick of our parents still nagging us to put sunscreen on every time we go outside but there is reason for all their nagging. Skin cancer is obviously the main reason to be thoughtful when deciding to lie in the sun for hours on end. Along with that risk, wrinkles could pop up a lot earlier than they should from sun exposure. This summer, toss those oils and trade them out for sunscreen to keep that skin healthy!

Moisturize:

A key part of keeping a tan is moisturizing. Along with drying out your hair, the sun can also make your skin very dry. By moisturizing after every shower your skin will stay healthy while helping to enhance your summer glow. Chlorine is another part of summer that can affect both your hair and skin. The chemicals from chlorine could make your skin dry and flaky which is another reason to make moisturizing a daily routine this summer!