This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Want to know how to get rid of those pesky acne scars?  Here are some simple changes that will make a big difference!

Moisturize. Moisturize. Moisturize.

This is the most important thing for any skin care; dry, oily and everything in between. Without moisture your skin can’t regenerate so using a good moisturizer is the first and most important step to fading acne scars.

Shea Moisture has a wide range of moisturizers for every skin type and is an affordable and natural brand. ($12.99)

Ulta.com

Oils, serums and essences

This is something that is definitely worth investing in. Using something with vitamin C, especially in winter when you’re not getting as much sun, can really speed up the process. Using an oil or an essence in conjunction with a serum can make it about six times more effective, even for oily skin!

Try Ole Henriksen’s Truth Serum (1oz $48), Sephora’s best selling serum!

Sephora.com

Exfoliate

Get off those extra layers of dead skin and reveal the newer skin underneath. Exfoliating gets off dry patches of skin and evens out the texture. It also cleans out oil and dirt from pores. Getting off the extra layers of skin can help get rid of dark spots and scarring.

Look for a physical exfoliant, not microbeads. Try Alba Hawaiian detox scrub ($6.19) for a fine scrub that cleans out pores

Target.com

SUNSCREEN!

All the work and money you put into your skin is totally worthless without sunscreen. I don’t just mean at the beach! Wearing it everyday protects your skin from the sun, even in winter U.V rays are still getting through and damaging your skin. Without sunscreen everything you do to keep you skin looking nice will be reversed.

Try Simple moisturizer SPF 15 ($9.99) for a lightweight, affordable and natural sunscreen.

Target.com

Tess Ware

C Mich '21

Hi, my name is Tess and I’m a double major in Journalism and Women and Gender studies at Central Michigan University. Planning to become a media writer after I graduate. I want to empower people through my writing and hope to someday write a book on the intersection of Feminism and Paganism. I’m a huge crafter, I love knitting and altering clothes I find at thrift stores. I listen to a lot of audiobooks in my free time. I’m really excited to be co-campus correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HerCampus-CMich and continue to develop my voice, writing and leadership skills.