photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash
Life > Experiences

A College Student’s Survival Guide to Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Thanksgiving break is in a few days! Enjoy your well-deserved break from school and get mentally prepared for finals. While we are all excited for these few days off, us college students need to stick together to be prepared for the annoying questions we know our relatives will ask over turkey and mashed potatoes.   Lucky for you, I have your guide of 10 tough questions you’ll more than likely be receiving from your family.

1. “Where’s your significant other?”

2. “Are you ever going to graduate?”

3. “Oh, is the freshman 15 a real thing?”

4. “How are those grades?”

5. “Do you even have a job to pay for school?”

6. “Do you have a job lined up yet for after graduation?”

7. “How’s the bar scene up there in Mt. P?”

8. “How’re you getting along with your roommates?”

9. “Did you change your major again?”

10. “Wow, you’re not going to make much are you?”

Remember, the holidays are a time for joy! No matter how invasive and ignorant the questions get, keep a smile on your face and the wine in hand. Happy Holidays!

My name is Cassie Malhado and I’m a sophomore at Central Michigan University. Raised in the small town of Imlay City, coming to university has allowed me to expand my comfort zone. Currently, I am studying Journalism: Public Relations Concentration with a minor in Applied Business Communication to do public relations work for a non-profit or corporation after graduation. On campus I am a member of the Honors Program, am a public relations executive for Central Michigan Life, run the social media and belong to the editorial board for the academic journal The Honors Platform, and am a sister of the Delta Zeta chapter of Alpha Chi Omega. I am excited to add events planner for Her Campus on my list of involvements as well! My passions include politics, traveling, and rollerblading with Her Campus Editor-in-Chief, Kara, which I cannot wait to write more about.