Central Experience Must Have: Rocky Horror

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Central Michigan students stream into the Broadway Theater under the neon lights to buy their tickets and prop bags. Many stop under the lit-up sign to snap a picture of their risque outfit. It’s one of the best events of the Halloween season: Rocky Horror Picture Show.

The event is put on by the students in Alpha Psi Omega, a theatre fraternity. They recreate scenes from the cult classic The Rocky Horror Picture Show while adding colorful phrases and slight changes in the acting directions.

The night always starts with a costume contest for those who feel particularly bold and want to make their way on stage. Another pre-show ritual is the Rocky Horror Pledge. Experienced Rocky Horror viewers get to make their pledge first, followed by the first timers, dubbed “virgins” and marked with a “V” on their forehead.

The first time experience is unparalleled. Sitting in the theater seats while carefully orchestrated chaos unfolds is a magical experience. It’s almost overwhelming when the experienced crowd starts yelling additional lines and jokes out over the movie or maybe throwing rice from the prop bag. The virgins are usually quick to catch on to the more common phrases like yelling “Slut!” when the character Janet shows up, or “Asshole!” for her fiance Brad.

The raunchy fun is what has brought me back for the past three years. Shopping for revealing outfits at a second-hand store the week before even adds to the experience. Getting to see your friends wearing ridiculous outfits is an opportunity that I would encourage everyone to take.

I have to thank the APO students for their hard work. Every year is different and exciting, always a show to remember.  I couldn’t imagine my time at Central without the Rocky Horror production. As next fall rolls around, be sure to look out for the big red Rocky Horror lips and get your tickets.

My name is Julia, and I am a junior from Kentwood, MI double majoring in Advertising and Psychology. My other involvements include Study Abroad Ambassadors, Campus Ambassadors, and the Honors Program. I'm excited to expand my skills while working with Her Campus, and I'm hopeful that this chapter will bring a lot of enjoyment to students at CMU. I am so excited to continue as the Advertising Chair for this chapter!